Written by Linda Davies
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - September 2015 Debut of the Month Longbow Girl is a romance, in the old fashioned sense of the word, a story full of marvels and heroic deeds. For centuries Merry Owen’s family have bred ponies in the Welsh mountains. They were given their land in the 1300’s when one of Merry’s longbowmen ancestors saved the life of the Black Prince and her family are still ready to protect the crown: Merry herself is skilled with the longbow. But the farm is under threat, not least from their neighbours the aristocratic De Courcys. The discovery of a treasure trove offers a chance to save the farm, but it’s linked to old rivalries, and ancient magic it seems. Action-packed, with wonderfully vivid descriptions of landscape, ponies, history and longbows, this thrilling novel will set readers’ hearts racing! ~ Andrea Reece
A Piece of Passion from Barry Cunningham, Publisher: THWACK! The age-old sound of an arrow hitting its target still brings a shiver of excitement doesn’t it? Just like in Linda Davies’ fantastic novel, we feel transported back to a time of romance, but also of violence and cruelty. But fear not, brave Longbow Girl readers – while there is danger and enchantment, there’s also tough love, brilliant horses and a heroine who finds her hero in a cause worth fighting for! Ymlaen! (That’s Welsh, by the way.)
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Isaac Phelan, age 11 - 'Longbow Girl is one of the best books I've ever read as it is an action packed and thrilling adventure to embark on. It is impossible to put down once you've started reading.'
- Neha Saji, age 12 - 'Longbow Girl is a magical tale about a girl, Merry, discovering the true depths of her family’s, the Owen’s, roots...Within the book is a true adventure, with many obstacles on the way to face.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A truly gripping, massively exciting, time-travelling adventure.'
- Bryher - 'I really enjoyed Longbow Girl, it is a must read for all hunger games fans and young budding archers. I loved the plot twists and red herrings. I also enjoyed all the welsh words. It is a good book for young teens and older.'
- Sue Wilsher - 'Rich with historical and cultural details, Longbow Girl is a powerful story about loyalty, tradition and being true to yourself.'
- Stephanie Chaplin - 'I loved this book because it was full of adventures and so much detail I can see the scene happening in my mind.'
- Anastasia - 'Longbow Girl is a story which really opened my imagination into its world of emotion and action. Linda Davies has created a true masterpiece which I hope others can enjoy and love.'
- Maya Watson, age 9 - 'This book is amazing! It was a real cliff hanger and I couldn’t stop reading it.'
- Chloe, age 11 - 'This is a book full of adventure, danger, secrets and excitement. When Mary Owen discovers a foreign book in the tree roots of a fallen tree she discovers it can change her family’s future.'
Win a SIGNED hardback copy of Ottoline and the Purple Fox!
We are giving away 3 signed hardback copies of the fourth Ottoline adventure written and illustrated by Chris Riddell, Ottoline and the Purple Fox.
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
Draw closes on 5 December 2016. The winners will be notified by 16 December 2016 and you should have your prize in time for Christmas!
Longbow Girl by Linda Davies
Merry Owen is desperate for her family to stay on their struggling farm in Wales, in the shadow of the Black Castle, owned by the de Courcys who have been enemies of Merry's family for generations. Skilled in the family tradition of archery, Merry is happiest out riding - but when she finds an overturned tree and a buried chest containing an ancient Welsh text, it leads her into a past filled with treasure, secrets and untold danger.
About the Author
More books by Linda Davies
Chicken House Ltd
3rd September 2015
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East