Written by Linda Davies
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - September 2015 Debut of the Month Longbow Girl is a romance, in the old fashioned sense of the word, a story full of marvels and heroic deeds. For centuries Merry Owen’s family have bred ponies in the Welsh mountains. They were given their land in the 1300’s when one of Merry’s longbowmen ancestors saved the life of the Black Prince and her family are still ready to protect the crown: Merry herself is skilled with the longbow. But the farm is under threat, not least from their neighbours the aristocratic De Courcys. The discovery of a treasure trove offers a chance to save the farm, but it’s linked to old rivalries, and ancient magic it seems. Action-packed, with wonderfully vivid descriptions of landscape, ponies, history and longbows, this thrilling novel will set readers’ hearts racing! ~ Andrea Reece
A Piece of Passion from Barry Cunningham, Publisher: THWACK! The age-old sound of an arrow hitting its target still brings a shiver of excitement doesn’t it? Just like in Linda Davies’ fantastic novel, we feel transported back to a time of romance, but also of violence and cruelty. But fear not, brave Longbow Girl readers – while there is danger and enchantment, there’s also tough love, brilliant horses and a heroine who finds her hero in a cause worth fighting for! Ymlaen! (That’s Welsh, by the way.)
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Isaac Phelan, age 11 - 'Longbow Girl is one of the best books I've ever read as it is an action packed and thrilling adventure to embark on. It is impossible to put down once you've started reading.'
- Neha Saji, age 12 - 'Longbow Girl is a magical tale about a girl, Merry, discovering the true depths of her family’s, the Owen’s, roots...Within the book is a true adventure, with many obstacles on the way to face.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A truly gripping, massively exciting, time-travelling adventure.'
- Bryher - 'I really enjoyed Longbow Girl, it is a must read for all hunger games fans and young budding archers. I loved the plot twists and red herrings. I also enjoyed all the welsh words. It is a good book for young teens and older.'
- Sue Wilsher - 'Rich with historical and cultural details, Longbow Girl is a powerful story about loyalty, tradition and being true to yourself.'
- Stephanie Chaplin - 'I loved this book because it was full of adventures and so much detail I can see the scene happening in my mind.'
- Anastasia - 'Longbow Girl is a story which really opened my imagination into its world of emotion and action. Linda Davies has created a true masterpiece which I hope others can enjoy and love.'
- Maya Watson, age 9 - 'This book is amazing! It was a real cliff hanger and I couldn’t stop reading it.'
- Chloe, age 11 - 'This is a book full of adventure, danger, secrets and excitement. When Mary Owen discovers a foreign book in the tree roots of a fallen tree she discovers it can change her family’s future.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Longbow Girl by Linda Davies
Merry Owen is desperate for her family to stay on their struggling farm in Wales, in the shadow of the Black Castle, owned by the de Courcys who have been enemies of Merry's family for generations. Skilled in the family tradition of archery, Merry is happiest out riding - but when she finds an overturned tree and a buried chest containing an ancient Welsh text, it leads her into a past filled with treasure, secrets and untold danger.
About the Author
More books by Linda Davies
Chicken House Ltd
3rd September 2015
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15