Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer
Written by Rick Riordan
Part of the Magnus Chase Series
Lovereading4kids Price £11.99
£14.99 saving £3.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - October 2015 Book of the Month Rick Riordan’s unerring ability to reach readers - including those generally described as reluctant - is evident in his new series. Once again he takes ancient myths as inspiration and with its flawed gods, epic battles and larger than life stories, Norse mythology provides brilliant source material. 16 year old Magnus is pretty tough. As the book opens, he been living rough for two years, and was a witness to his mother’s murder. When the uncle his mother always warned him to keep away from announces that Magnus’s father was a Norse god, it makes a strange kind of sense, but it’s only after Magnus has died that the action really hots up! The writing is concise, punchy, spiced with humour and the adventure is unbeatable! ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Charnell Vevers - 'Rick Riordan once again proves why he is the master at writing about mythology, and entwining his knowledge on mythology in with his wonderful ability to tell the perfect young adult action story.'
- Jake Fletcher - 'Magnus Chase: The Sword of Summer is the first in a new series about mythology and the modern world by the absolutely brilliant Rick Riordan.'
- Dahabo Wacays, age 17 - 'The book had me gripped from the first page because Riordan has always been an absolute favourite of mine. Magnus Chase is witty and sarcastic which makes him a lovable character.'
- Izzy Read, age 14 - 'I adore Rick Riordan’s way of describing myths and legends; everything brought up to date and packed with action!'
- Rosie Crowson, age 12 - 'I was looking forward to this book. It didn't disappoint. The portrayals of mythical beings from Norse legends put the finishing touches on a book awesome enough to rival the Percy Jackson series.'
- Molly Hudson, age 13 - 'An exciting new series of books from the Percy Jackson Author with all new gods and heroes. If you love myths and legends this book is just for you!'
- Abraham - 'Magnus chase is an incredibly unique book with an amazing storyline that sheds a whole new light on the gods of Asgard.'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 12 - 'Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer is unputdownable, when you manage to put it down and go back to reality, you question why you aren't surrounded by elves, frost giants and Gods.'
- Vicky Fisher - 'Magnus Chase is an amazing book with an incredibly unique plot and storyline.'
- Kezia Deakin, age 15 - 'When even just the chapter titles made me chuckle and ponder, I knew this novel was going to be funny and captivating...I wasn't disappointed.'
- Bengamin Parsons, age 11 - 'The Sword of Summer is a great book! You must read it!'
- Dylan Sweet, age 12 - 'I would rate this a billion out of five stars and I enjoyed it even more than the Bestselling Percy Jackson series. '
- Charlotte and ALex, age 15 & 10 - 'This book is the funniest book we have ever read. You never know what's going to happen next.'
- Maisie, age 14 - 'An amazing book!'
- Adam Goodman, age 12 - 'A brilliant book that is action packed and full of suspense. A must read - I can't wait for the rest of the series!!!'
- Chole Shortall, age 19 - 'I would recommend this book for fans of Riordan’s other novels, especially the Percy Jackson books.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Magnus Chase and the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
The first book in the incredible new series from the author of Percy Jackson, the Kane Chronicles and Heroes of Olympus.
Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother's mysterious death, he's lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers. One day, he's tracked down by an uncle he's never met - a man his mother claimed was dangerous. His uncle tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god. The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years. When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision. Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die...
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Rick Riordan
Author's Facebook Latest
Puffin an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
6th October 2015
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15