Written by Will McIntosh
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Here’s an really interesting premise: the world has been seeded with spheres - perfectly round gems in a variety of colours. Where they come from no-one is sure, but when paired they bestow different special abilities, from ambidexterity, to increased intelligence. No wonder they are in such demand, particularly the rarer colours which change hands for millions. Sully supports himself and his mother through dealing in spheres and with his new partner the gorgeous if intimidatingly tough Hunter, finds the rarest. The discovery puts not only them, but the entire human race in danger as the provenance of the spheres is finally revealed. Fast-moving, with a cast of interesting teen characters, and that clever idea, this is first-rate sci-fi with a cool heist set-up too.
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews here.
- Lauren Coffman, age 16 - 'a unique and enthralling read...One of the best books I have read in ages, so I would highly recommend.'
- Jessica Anderson, age 13 - 'A page turning adventure fantasy thriller with a very unexpected twist at the end. A fantastic read!'
- Josh Curtis, age 13 - 'I really enjoyed reading this book, it is absolutely amazing.'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson - 'The concept and plot was totally unique and unexpected...Overall I would rate this book five out of five stars.'
- Izzy Read, age 15 - 'An awesome sci-fi novel that went above and beyond my expectations!'
- Francesca Hughes, age 13 - 'This epic page-turner deals with some timeless questions - Are some things too good to be true? Can people change? Are power and wealth really worth it?'
- Natalie Hunter, age 14 - 'I loved this book and really enjoyed reading it. I found the book very gripping and what happened towards the end shocked me completely. I definitely recommend it!'
- Chloe Shortall, age 19 - 'Packed with action and plot twists, it was a captivating read. I would recommend this novel to young adult readers.' www.booksandbutterbeer.wordpress.com
- Ofelia Tavares, age 13 - 'I thought the book was phenomenal and I would definitely recommend it. It was addictive and a great page turner...the storyline was new and engaging and a brilliant plot.'
- Emily Passmore, age 15 - 'An interesting book, with good characters which has a slow start but gets into a good pace soon. I felt involved with the characters, and the storyline was original and different.'
- Farah Alam - 'I enjoyed the overall concept of the book and the book was action packed but the ending left me unsatisfied.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Burning Midnight by Will McIntosh
Sully is a sphere dealer at a flea market. It doesn't pay much - Alex Holliday's stores have muscled out most of the independent sellers - but it helps him and his mum make the rent. No one knows where the brilliant-coloured spheres came from. One day they were just there, hidden all over the earth like huge gemstones. Burn a pair and they make you a little better: an inch taller, skilled at maths, better-looking. The rarer the sphere, the greater the improvement - and the more expensive the sphere. When Sully meets Hunter, a girl with a natural talent for finding spheres, the two start searching together. What they find will change more than just their lives ...Because the entire world fights over spheres, but no one knows why they're here or what their powers are ...until now.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Will McIntosh
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
11th February 2016
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15