The Best Birthday Bike
Written by Chris Hoy
Illustrated by Clare Elsom
Lovereading4kids Price £3.99
£4.99 saving £1.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
March 2016 Book of the Month For action-packed stories, combining real-life adventure with a touch of magic, Chris Hoy’s Flying Fergus series is hard to beat. He’s collaborated with accomplished children’s author Joanna Nadin, a writer who knows her way round a young child’s imagination as well as Sir Chris knows his way round a velodrome, and the result is sparky books with lots of appeal. Fergus lives with his mum and grandad and dreams of making the cycling team at his local track. They can’t afford flash kit and Fergus has to compete on his dad’s old bike. It turns out there’s something amazing about it though, and it transports him to a magical world where he learns lots about competition. The story makes clear what’s so great about cycling, is just as good on friendship and family, and there are some very funny moments too.
Emma Matthewson, Editor, Hot Key Books, said: “Sir Chris has already provided a lasting legacy of inspiration to young people with his tremendous list of achievements. What drew me to Flyign Fergus was a genuine warmth and heart to the books and Sir Chris’s clear dedication to the next generation. We can’t wait to see young cyclists across the country enjoy reading about their new hero!”
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews here.
- Rachel Zinkin, age 9 - 'I thought this book was brilliant, not only because he got a bike for his ninth birthday just like me, but because his was magical.'
- Pelayo Primo de Rivera, age 9 - 'Fergus receives a rusty old bike for his birthday, with the help of his grandpa it is transformed but will he win the race?'
- Daniel Bisland, age 8 - 'I really liked this book because it was funny, imaginative and a great story to read!'
- Hannah, age 8 - 'I really enjoyed this book because of the characters,and the story itself...I can't wait to read the next book.'
- George Daniels, age 7 - 'Flying Fergus is inspiring in lots of ways and made me believe in aiming to achieve success against the odds.'
- Freddie Barth von Wehrenalp, age 8 - 'A magical adventure which gives me a real treat at bedtime.'
- Bobby Earl, age 9 - 'I loved this book and it was great to read a book about cycling as I am mad about bikes.'
- Lewis Briggs, age 9 - 'The book was fabulous! I really enjoyed reading it. It was humorous, full of fantasy and gave great imagery in my mind...I would definitely recommend this book, especially if you like cycling.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'A really great story, perfect for younger readers between aged 6 and 9 years old, especially reluctant readers as the print is quite big and there are lots of fantastic illustrations.'
- Gabriel, age 10 - 'I like this book because it inspires people to achieve their dreams even though they don't have the latest brands...Its easy to read and a real page turner.'
- Phoebe Allan, age 10 - 'I recommend this book for age 7-9. It is quite simple although it still has some hard words. However the majoroty of the book is direct speech.'
- Kamran Mustfa, age 7 - 'It's a super book. It all starts off when he thinks he's a loser.'
Win a Limited Edition copy of The Smartest Giant in Town!
The Smartest Giant in Town, a modern classic by the uber-talented team of Julia Donaldson and Axel Sheffler, is celebrating its 15th Anniversary.
To mark this occasion we will be giving away FIVE copies of this limited edition storybook. To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 6 February 2017. The winners will be notified by 20 February 2017.
The Best Birthday Bike by Chris Hoy
Fergus Hamilton, a boy who always dreams big, gets a rusty old bike for his ninth birthday from his mum and granddad. It's not the flashy Sullivan Swift he'd longed for - but when it's all cleaned up and he takes it for a test run, he discovers something amazing. When the pedals turn backwards, Fergus and his dog, Chimp, are magically transported to Nevermore, a land where cycling is banned by the wicked King Woebegot. He meets the ever enthusiastic Princess Lily, has an amazing adventure bunny-hopping on his bike over the Swamp of Certain Death and outwitting the Knights of No-Nonsense and their Hounds of Horribleness, and lands back in the real world with a bump. Fergus still has to complete the time trial to join the local cycling team though - can Grandpa Herc and his best friend Daisy help him realise that he doesn't need magic to succeed, and that hard work, a bit of patience and some help from his friends can do the trick?
With fantastic illustrations from Clare Elsom.
Sir Chris Hoy has written his stories with the help of Joanna Nadin.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 5
More books by Chris Hoy
Hot Key Books
25th February 2016
Hot Key Books is an imprint of Hot Key
Hot Key Books, a division of Bonnier Publishing, publish stand out, quality fiction, for 9 – 19 year olds, print and digital that people like to talk about. If you are looking for something a little bit different from your books, something a little bit special then Hot Key Books may well have just what you want.
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman