Why I Went Back
Written by James Clammer
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
In a tradition of stories going right back to Beowulf, referenced in the book, this is a tale of stolen treasure, trickery and courage. Aidan is struggling to keep things together at home: his mother has been sectioned and his father seems almost paralysed with despair. It falls to Aidan to deliver the sacks of mail his postman father is hiding in their garden shed. So when thieves steal his bike Aidan has to go after them. It’s here that magic – old magic – intrudes into the contemporary setting. There are no portals suddenly opening, it’s not the sort of magic to bring special powers; hard to define, harder to pin down – ‘a sort of stillness that moved’ says Aidan – human lives are of no consequence to it and if Aidan emerges a hero it’s due to his own strengths. Gripping, compulsive reading, an exceptional book.
Authors Sara Crowe (Bone Jack), Rupert Wallis (All Sorts of Possible) and Natasha Carthew (The Light that Gets Lost) all understand old magic and have written similarly powerful and enthralling stories. ~ Andrea Reece
Teens and YA's love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Edel Waugh - 'If you like a feel good story about friendship, family and hope then this is the story for you.'
- Celeste Phelan, age 14 - 'An intriguing novel spiked with magic originating from a wonderful classic.'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 12 - 'A touching and mysterious tale with a tear-jerker ending.'
- Saffron Ayara-Ekpe, age 12 - 'I loved this book because it had a really good story line, with good characters. Aidan didn't really seem like the person who would go out on adventures like he did. I would definitely recommend it.'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 13 - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would rate it five out of five stars.'
- Sophia Ufton, YA - 'This was an amazing story, I really enjoyed it!'
- Kyra, age 17 - 'Why I Went Back has complex characters and delectable writing that you'll fall in love with! Fragments of fantasy and reality collide to bring this original tale of hope and freedom.'
- Sarah-Jane Ryan - 'One night, a couple of thugs steal Aidan’s bike which he desperately needs to Keep Things Together. Aidan’s life is a mess and this is the story of how he got it back on track.'
- Collette Kerfoot age, 12-Thomas Cowley School - 'Why I Went Back is an enjoyable book about a lot of stolen mail and about a stolen bike...I would definitely recommend this book to others.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Why I Went Back by James Clammer
Aidan needs his bike to deliver all the mail his postman dad's been hoarding since his mum was sectioned. But his bike's just been stolen. In the early morning, Aidan chases after the thieves, hellbent on getting it back. When he reaches the abandoned factory where they've stashed his bike, he has moments to grab it and escape. But he finds more than just stolen goods. There's a mysterious prisoner chained to the floor. This is the story of why Aidan goes back. Recalling Alan Garner and Susan Cooper, Why I Went Back is a dark tale of magic, myth and undelivered mail.
Gripping... A must read for all lovers of slightly fantastical urban fiction. Jonas Herriot, librarian and chair, London's Youth Libraries Group
Authentic and complex... Why I Went Back has fragments of fantasy and reality collide to bring this original tale of hope and freedom. Blog of a Bookaholic
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by James Clammer
Andersen Press Ltd
7th April 2016
Andersen Press Ltd is an imprint of Andersen Press
Andersen Press is one of the leading independent children’s publishers, publishing some of the biggest names in the world of children's books including the much-loved picture book characters the Little Princess and Elmer the patchwork elephant. Andersen Press is the home of many award-winning authors and illustrators including Melvin Burgess, Rebecca Stead, Satoshi Kitamura, Tony Ross, David McKee, Chris Judge and Jeanne Willis. Founded in 1976 by Klaus Flugge it won the Bologna Best Children’s Publisher prize in the European Category in 2016, the company’s 40th anniversary year.
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman