Edge of Extinction
Written by Laura Martin
Part of the Edge of Extinction Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Here’s a premise and a half: one hundred plus years ago, hubristic scientists decided to bring dinosaurs back from extinction, a la Jurassic Park. No-one expected that the dinosaurs would also bring a disease deadly to mankind. Now what’s left of the human race lives in underground bunkers while giant lizards roam the earth. One of these hiding humans is twelve-year-old Sky. A bit of a rebel, Sky is determined to discover what happened to her scientist father, who’s disappeared. Her search takes her up against not just the man-eating dinosaurs, but devious grown-ups too. Sky is a tough, appealing central character and the thrills come fast and furious.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading4kids expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. Click here to read the full reviews.
- Noah Hall, age 10 - 'A futuristic dinosaur adventure, and thrilling page-turner.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'Like Jurassic Park crossed with Dinosaur Cove, the action was full-on, fast-paced and terrifying. If you love dinosaurs or action-packed adventures you must read this series.'
- Josh Parcell, age 9 - 'An exciting dinosaur adventure book. I loved it and could not wait to read the next page!'
- LLew Harrison, age 9 - 'AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great book, it had everything, adventure, comedy, fright, surprise and more!'
- Alex Nicholson, age 10 - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this gripping adventure story – I didn’t want to put it down and I can’t wait for the mystery to be continued in the next book…'
- Alex Hall, age 10 - 'The book was about a group of dinosaurs, which had taken over the world. The book was full of tension, action and danger, as the characters had to avoid running into the dinosaurs and soldiers.'
- Edward Bailey, age 11 - 'Brilliant read! I want another installment! I would read it again in a heartbeat!'
- Dylan De Los Santos, age 11 - 'Edge of Extinction is an amazing adventure book filled with hopeless humans and dangerous dinosaurs. Fighting for survival. This was a brilliant novel. As it had tense moments and tricky situations.'
- Ross O,Gorman, age 9 - ‘Edge of Extinction by Laura Martin is a riveting read...I loved the exciting combination of suspense, adventure and danger in this book. It was action packed and I could not put it down.'
- Alex Bateman, age 10 - 'This book grips you from the start with action and adventure.'
Edge of Extinction by Laura Martin
Two hundred years ago, the first dinosaur was successfully cloned. Soon after, the human race realized they'd made a colossal mistake...The dregs of humanity have been driven into hiding, living in underground Compounds. Thirteen year old Sky Mundy's father was part of the inner circle of Compound leaders until five years ago he mysteriously disappeared. Now the time has come for Sky to try and track him down. Along with her best friend Shawn, she steps out into the world above, a world of rampaging dinosaurs, but also a full of surprises, where Sky is about to learn that just about everything she's been taught has been a lie, and the dinosaurs might not be the most dangerous predators out there Now Sky not only has to solve the mystery of her father's disappearance - she also has to save the world.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Laura Martin
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
19th May 2016
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16