Not If I See You First
Written by Eric Lindstrom
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2016 Debut of the Month An incredibly uplifting, thought provoking and sharply beautiful debut. Once I started reading I couldn’t stop and when I turned the last page I could quite easily have turned back to the beginning and started all over again. The first chapter smashed into my senses, sending them reeling, from then on in I was completely and totally engaged. Within a few pages you get a feel for the type of person Parker is, she’s different, and not just because of the obvious reason, but because she feels so real it almost hurts. Eric Lindstrom has created a wonderfully spiky and courageous character in Parker, as she tells her story you can hear her voice and picture every second as her personality bursts from the pages. With sharp kicks of wit and hugs of compassion ‘Not If I See You First’ is a wonderful read and I highly recommend it. ~ Liz Robinson
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Kezia Deakin, age 16 - 'In every chapter of this refreshing read, Parker chips away at any misconceptions I ever had about those who are visually impaired, with her determination, wittiness, and blunt attitude.'
- Sarah Ismail, Yr 8 - 'The author created a teenage girl as a defensive person, but Parker is humorously sarcastic, particularly when she reacts to other characters that irritate her...I would give the story 4 stars out of 5.'
- Bethan Scarr, age 15 - 'You will love Parker from the first page and will become absorbed in her life and feel lost at the last page.'
- Francesca Hughes, age 13 - 'If you can't go to a theme park, pick up this novel. It’s a perfect emotional rollercoaster of laughs, tears, shocks, drama, friendship and romance!'
- Vicky Sheldon - 'Overall I think it is a very thought provoking story and really makes you think about what it means to have a disability.'
- Susie Holm, age 15 - 'A compelling story that flows beautifully, containing interesting and pivotal characters. Set in a relatable family backdrop, in which a blind teenage girl brings a fresh outlook to any reader.'
- Megan Chambers, age 14 - 'Not If I See You First is an absolutely amazing book. I loved every second of it and could not put it down! I would recommend it to anyone.'
- Edel Waugh - 'We get to see accurately how much someone without sight has to manage their life and it made me care even more about Parker as my own granddad was blind...I really enjoyed this!'
- Aimee Sweet, age 13 - 'Not if I See You First is an extraordinary novel with messages that stayed with me long after I put it down.'
- Alex McCalla - 'This book is such an inspirational book. I picked this book up when I had finished reading my recent book and it was so good I couldn't put it down! Deserves 5 stars!'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Wow, amazing story.... Ended too soon.'
- Amelia Corrick-Gough, age 14 - 'This book was amazing! It kept me hooked until the final word of the final paragraph! Parker is an inspiration to all those who feel they can't do something.'
- Maddy Faulkner, age 13 - 'This is a book about a young girl who is unfortunately blind. She's sick of being treated differently for being blind. Then someone from her past arrives and she struggles to cope.'
- Farah Alam - 'I just didn't enjoy this book but it is a quick read.'
Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom
The debut novel of 2016 that everyone will be talking about.
Parker Grant doesn't need perfect vision to see right through you. That's why she created the Rules: Don't treat her any differently just because she's blind, and never take advantage. There will be no second chances. When Scott Kilpatrick, the boy who broke her heart, suddenly reappears at school, Parker knows there's only one way to react - shun him so hard it hurts. She has enough to deal with already, like trying out for the track team, handing out tough-love advice to her painfully naive classmates, and giving herself gold stars for every day she hasn't cried since her dad's death. But avoiding her past quickly proves impossible, and the more Parker learns about what really happened - both with Scott, and her dad - the more she starts to question if things are always as they seem.
Combining a fiercely engaging voice with true heart, Not If I See You First illuminates those blind spots that we all have in life, whether visually impaired or not.
! 'Not If I See You First is thoughtful and honest, with characters that made me laugh, cry, and surprised me at every turn. It's a book I'll recommend for years to come.
-founder of Disability in KidLit
About the Author
More books by Eric Lindstrom
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
5th May 2016
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley