The Unexpected Everything
Written by Morgan Matson
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Super-focused Andie has her future mapped-out. She knows what she wants (to go to med school) and how to get it. But when her plans to do an internship over the summer break are scuppered by a scandal surrounding her high-profile congressman father, she ends up taking a dog-walking job, to her friends' surprise and amusement. It’s through this unlikely job that Andie meets gorgeous Clark, a bestselling fantasy writer who blows her firm commitment to three week romances clean out the water. After an awful first date, they find themselves falling for one another, which is when “the summer started to find its own rhythm”.
Beneath its feel-good summer break vibe this novel charts deeper waters - dealing with the loss of a parent; how it feels to be the teenager of a scrutinised public figure; the pain of falling out with best friends. There are touching moments between Andie and her dad when they begin to enjoy each other’s company after years of unemotional awkwardness. Above all, this is a warm-hearted coming-of-age novel about the unexpected joys that can come from being thrown outside your comfort zone, and following your heart because “there's no day like today”. ~ Joanne Owen
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sidney Greenslade, age 12 - 'a gripping, enjoyable and touching read - I really liked it and carried it with me everywhere until I reached the end!'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Wow, this was an amazing book! The most brilliant story in every way!'
- Francesca, age 14 - 'A great book about friendship, family, forgiveness, falling in love. Set to be the young adult summer read of 2016! The cute dogs and pizza were bonuses.'
- Lavinia Herath - 'I absolutely adored this book...The Unexpected Everything is a perfect summer read filled with cute moments, dogs, friendships, family and storytelling.'
- Sarah Murray, age 17 - 'Morgan Matson has done it again! This is a perfect easy, fun read for summer 2016!'
- Sophie, age 21 - 'A really cute, feel good summer YA contemporary read. Easy to lose yourself in the story.'
- Neha Saji - 'The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Watson is a good read, especially for those who love dogs and a cute true love story.'
- Rebekah Marsh, age 13 - 'The number one sign of a fantastic book - you can't put it down. This book took me a day to read! I thoroughly enjoyed the story and felt as if I was part of the special friendship group.'
- Isabelle Wood - 'I highly recommend this book and I would happily recommend it to a friend.'
- Izzy Read, age 15 - 'Andie reflects what many people my age struggle with- not only love, friends and family but worries about the future and what is to come...I highly recommend this book and I would happily recommend it to a friend.'
- Humaira Kauser, age 18 - 'Such a great read! A lovely summery book perfect for the season!'
- Edel Waugh - 'This was such a great book! Andie is an inspiring character who has had tough times to go through...Overall this was an awesome feel good story.'
- Isabel Kardos-Stowe, age 12 - 'I really liked this book...I found it very interesting and I really wanted to know what was going to happen next.'
- Amelie Chatham, age 13 - 'This book is great for people who are fans of Rainbow Rowell.'
The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson
Andie has a plan and she always sticks to the plan. Future? A top tier medical school. Dad? Avoid as much as possible (which isn't that hard considering he's a Congressman and never around). Friends? Palmer, Bri, and Toby - pretty much the most awesome people on the planet, who needs anyone else? Relationships? No one's worth more than three weeks. So it's no surprise she's got her summer all planned out too. Until a political scandal cancels her summer pre-med internship, and lands both her and Dad back in the same house for the first time in years. Suddenly she's doing things that aren't Andie at all - working as a dog walker, doing an epic scavenger hunt with her dad and maybe, just maybe, letting the super cute Clark in closer than expected. Palmer, Bri and Toby tell her to embrace all the chaos, but here's the thing ...can she?
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Morgan Matson
Simon & Schuster Childrens Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster Ltd
5th May 2016
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi