The House on Hummingbird Island
Written by Sam Angus
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
In a Nutshell: family secrets – ghosts – loss and love
This story of a young orphan girl feels part of a tradition going back to Eva Ibbotson, or even Frances Hodgson Burnett. It’s 1912 and Idie is a fierce young woman – with no parents she’s had to be – and she’s more than able to cope when she is suddenly called ‘home’ from England to the Caribbean Humming Bird Island, and installed as mistress of a grand old house. At first her closest companions are her horse and parakeet, but she soon makes friends with the people of the house and island, and they help her unravel the mystery of her family and past. With a cast of eccentric characters, a beautiful, exotic setting and drawing on overlooked but fascinating stories from history too, this is a rich and rewarding read. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Erica Motoc, age 10 - 'A sad, dramatic book, which keeps you in suspense at all times.'
- Miranda Beinart-Smith, age 10 - 'I loved this book; it was packed with adventure, suspense and excitement! You never know what’s going to happen next, which just makes you want to read more!'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 10 - 'Read it in a day! I loved this unusual tale :)'
- Maya Watson, age 9 - 'I really liked this book as I was able to feel close to the characters, as if I was there with them...I would definitely recommend it to my friends.'
- Jenna Welch, age 11 - 'Angus is an absolutely genius writer and I loved the character Idie Grace. She is very wild and has a love for animals, she reminds me slightly of myself.'
- Tariq Mustfa, age 10 - 'I found it very exciting. I felt extremely involved with the characters and I found it very difficult to put the book down because I was worried about what would happen to them.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A story set on a tropical island that is happy, sad and full of exotic animals. I would love to live in a house like Bathsheba!'
- Ruby Weyman, age 9 - 'It was a compelling story with an unexpected ending; I thoroughly enjoyed it.'
- Brodie Greenslade, age 10 - 'A book more for fans of war stories than animal enthusiasts, I found The House on Hummingbird Island a little disappointing.'
- Rosie, age 9 - 'I love the title of the book. If you like animals read this book. The descriptions and Idie's love for the animals is lovely. I am 9 but would be better for someone 11ish.'
- Faye Dawson, age 10 - 'Idie Grace with her free spirit, love of animals and disregard for adult authority is a grown up version of Pippi Longstocking - you'll love her!'
- Rosie Watch - 'A beautiful story that grows with Idie, from a book of childhood colour and the daily excitement of an evolving menagerie to a story that is increasingly full of mystery and intrigue.'
- Ellen Cox, age 9 - 'An incredible book that made me laugh and cry. A slightly difficult read but good all the same.'
The House on Hummingbird Island by Sam Angus
'We're going to a fine place,' Idie told Homer to console him, 'with gullies and monkeys and hummingbirds.'
Idie Grace is twelve when she inherits a grand old house on a Caribbean island, and is sent away from grey old England to a place where hummingbirds hover and monkeys clamber from tree to tree. As a lady of property Idie can do as she pleases, so she fills the house with exotic animals, keeps her beloved horse in the hallway, and carries a grumpy, talking cockatoo called Homer on her shoulder. But the island house holds as many secrets as it does animals, and the truth behind Idie's inheritance is the biggest secret of all ...
Perfect for fans of Eva Ibbotson and Katherine Rundell
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Sam Angus
Author's Facebook Latest
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
2nd June 2016
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham