The Moonlight Dreamers
Written by Siobhan Curham
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
July 2016 Book of the Month | In a Nutshell: Awesome Empowerment * Sisterly Support * Pursuing Passions
This inspirational story about following dreams and the power of female friendship is as rich, warm and cheering as being curled up with a mug of hot chocolate on a bitterly cold day.
Amber lives near London’s cosmopolitan Brick Lane with her gay dads. She loves words, Oscar Wilde and all things vintage. She hates the small-minded bullying “OMG girls” at school, and feels certain that “there must be other people like her out there somewhere. Other people who didn't fit it, or want to fit in.” And so, inspired by an Oscar Wilde quote, Amber seeks out sister Moonlight Dreamers, kindred sprits who also “dream of freedom and adventure”.
The girls who respond to Amber’s call come from very different worlds, but they come together in a spirit of solidarity to create their own secret society in which difference is celebrated, and following your dreams is de rigeur. At the inaugural meeting of the Moonlight Dreamers, they each declare their dreams and pledge to pursue them. Amber is desperate to visit Oscar Wilde's grave in Paris. Shy photographer Maali yearns for the confidence to talk to boys. Poet Sky dreams of performing at a poetry slam, and New Yorker Rose wants to own a Harley Davidson and become a patissier, against her model mom’s desire for Rose to follow in her expensively-shoed footsteps.
Utterly charming through even the girls’ most challenging moments, the author’s portrayal of female friendship and self-empowerment is sublimely enriching, and the novel ends with a glorious sense that the girls' journey is only just beginning: a lifetime of fortifying friendship and Moonlight Dreaming awaits. ~ Joanne Owen
Teens & YA's love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our older Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Kyra, age 17 - 'Within the pages of this book I lost myself, but is was within these pages that I found myself too. Sensational and unforgettable, falling in love with this book came as naturally as breathing.'
- Phoebe Allan - 'Curham's plot is magical, witty, sad, and funny and tackles some tough issues that all teenage girls will relate to.'
- Edel Waugh - 'The Moonlight Dreamers is the book I’ve been waiting to be written for years - female empowerment, realistic, creative female characters, and ordinary girls with extraordinary ways of looking at the world.'
- Jessica Anderson, age 13 - 'I loved the way poetry was used throughout the book, it was very well written and I adore the poem Awaken Your Sleeping Beauty.'
- Felicity Kerswell, age 13 - 'A great read!! This book will make you scream and laugh but you will want to read more and more. The quotes throughout the book are lovely. I loved this book and I hope you do too!'
- Destiny Maraj, age 14 - 'I absolutely loved it. It was so original and heart-warming.'
- Humaira Kauser, age 18- 'Siobhan Curham is a genius and works wonders with words. Keep an eye out for her!'
- Aimee Sweet, age 14 - 'It is fast paced and easy to read.'
- Isabella Ettery, age 14 - 'I would give the moonlight dreamers 5 stars because it was enjoyable to read and addressed real problems that go on here and now all of the time.'
The Moonlight Dreamers by Siobhan Curham
A inspirational, heart-warming book about four girls trying to find their place in the world. Siobhan Curham celebrates very different but like-minded friends in this captivating novel.
Amber craves excitement and adventure. Instead, she's being bullied at school for having two dads, and life at home isn't much better. Inspired by Oscar Wilde, Amber realizes that among the millions of people in London, there must be others who feel the same as she does; other dreamers - moonlight dreamers. After chance encounters with Maali, Sky and Rose, Amber soon recruits the three girls to the Moonlight Dreamers. It's high time they started pursuing their dreams, and how better than with the support of friends?
A inspirational, heart-warming book about four girls trying to find their place in the world. Siobhan Curham celebrates very different but like-minded friends in this captivating novel. Blog of a Bookaholic
A charming and inspirational story about friendship, dreams and being true to yourself. BookTrust
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Siobhan Curham
Author's Facebook Latest
Walker Books Ltd
7th July 2016
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk