Isadora Moon Has a Birthday
Written by Harriet Muncaster
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Adorable, friendly Vampire Fairy Isadora Moon returns and this time it’s her birthday! Isadora loves human birthday parties and is excited now to be having her very own. But her parents are organizing it and as her mum is a fairy and her dad a vampire she know it’s not going to be like the parties she’s been to before.
This delightful series is beautifully presented throughout with pink and black illustrations that alongside the text and easy to follow chapters make this a lovely step up book for newly (or soon to be) independent readers. ~ Shelley Fallows
A message from the author about her inspiration for the character of Isadora Moon : There is actually quite a bit of history behind Isadora Moon. About ten years ago, on my art foundation course, I created a character called Victoria Stitch and wrote and illustrated a picture book about her. She was a grown up, naughty, slightly gothic, fairy type character and she had a Pink Rabbit who she always dragged around with her. Victoria Stitch became like my alter ego and I always kept her close to me and worked on her in my spare time. Over the years she evolved. She started with pink hair and then she turned even more gothic looking with black, messy hair and with bat wings instead of fairy wings. As my style of illustration changed, she changed too. She is extremely special to me. However, whenever I showed Victoria Stitch to publishers I was always told that she was ‘too mean,’ ‘too naughty,’ ‘too spiky,’ ‘not child friendly.’ Looking back, I can see what they mean. I decided to create a new, separate character who would be more suitable for children but with the black/pink/gothic aesthetics of Victoria Stitch - a younger, friendlier, sweeter version. So Isadora Moon was born! I also gave Isadora Moon fangs (unlike Victoria Stitch) as when I started to think about the backstory for her (why she has batwings, what species is she etc…) it made sense that her mum was a fairy and her dad was a vampire. This is why Isadora Moon is so special to me – because she was born out of a real passion project of mine. I absolutely adore her.
The series comprises:
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the series, Isadora Moon Goes to School. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Diya Budhdeo, age 7 - 'This is one of my favourite ever books and I read this book quicker than I had read any other book before. This is perfect for girls my age and I can’t wait to read more. I love this book.'
- Emma Radford (mum to Sam and Jack) - 'We loved Isadora Moon Goes to School...The illustrations were lovely and gave us lots to talk about. Both my boys are really keen to read more of Isadora's exploits!'
- Tanya Thurling - 'the chapters are just the right length for one before bedtime...so I think this book is perfect if you want to progress to bigger books with your child...Isadora Moon who is half fairy and half vampire (which Eleanor LOVED. Possibly the coolest thing she's ever heard. Her words, not mine).'
- Reece, age 6 - 'I like this book because I really like the pictures, they are pink and black.'
- Star, age 7 - 'This book is 10/10 even though it is about vampire fairies.'
- Olivier, age 7 - 'This book is funny because it makes you laugh. I really like the pictures.'
- Leighton, age 7 - 'I like this book even though it is a girly book.'
- Madison - 'I would give it 12/10 because the pictures are that pretty.'
- Bran, age 7 - 'I give it 10/10 because it is funny and amazing.'
- Melanie Daniels - 'A unique, fun and magical book about a little girl who isn't quite sure where she fits in best.... Isadora Moon is a wonderful heroine full of fun and surprises.'
- Aggie Daniels - 'This book is full of lovely pictures and is a quick read, I finished it before teatime. Dramatic, exciting and wonderful.
- Robyn, age 7 - 'A great book that had me hooked from the minute I started it. I'm sure it will be read many more times. Looking forward to more Isadora Moon already.'
- Mira Ruby Lalji, age 6 - 'A thrilling, colourful first chapter book about being unique! Recommended for all new readers who love fantasy!.. Harriet Muncaster used interesting words like campfire, snoozing, Bartholeme, gurgling and turret. I like learning new words!'
- James McNichol, age 6 - 'There wasn't anything about Isadora Moon that I didn't like.'
- Caye Gould - 'A book that eases a child into taking the big step of starting school in a delightful way. An excellent read for parents and children alike.'
- Seraphina Pope, age 7 - 'My daughter absolutely loved this book, it's actually the first book she picked and read all by herself. The illustrations are really lovely and probably helped to connect her with this character.'
- Maya Lewis, age 8 - 'I thought Isadora Moon was really good! I liked it when Isadora's bunny let all the bats out!'
Win a Limited Edition copy of The Smartest Giant in Town!
The Smartest Giant in Town, a modern classic by the uber-talented team of Julia Donaldson and Axel Sheffler, is celebrating its 15th Anniversary.
To mark this occasion we will be giving away FIVE copies of this limited edition storybook. To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 6 February 2017. The winners will be notified by 20 February 2017.
Isadora Moon Has a Birthday by Harriet Muncaster
Half vampire, half fairy, totally unique! Isadora Moon is special because she is different. Her mum is a fairy and her dad is a vampire and Isadora is a bit of both. Isadora loves going to human birthday parties, and now is going to have one of her own! But with her mum and dad organizing things, it's not going to be like the parties she's been to before ...With irresistible pink and black artwork throughout by author/illustrator Harriet Muncaster and a totally unique heroine with an out-of-this-world family, this is a beautiful, charming, and funny new series of first chapter books.
Perfect for fans of Claude, Dixie O'Day, and Squishy McFluff, Isadora Moon is the ideal choice for readers who want their magic and sparkle with a bit of bite!
Highly Illustrated, eyecatching The Bookseller
About the Author
More books by Harriet Muncaster
Oxford University Press
1st September 2016
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15