Middle School: Dog's Best Friend
Written by James Patterson
Illustrated by Jomike Tejido
Part of the Middle School Series
Lovereading4kids Price £7.99
£9.99 saving £2.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
In a nutshell: fast-moving, funny, irresistible reading | James Patterson sets out to make his children’s books irresistible reading, and he succeeds every time. Rafe Khatchadorian is a typical Patterson hero – he’s funny, street-wise, smart, but not the world’s best pupil. In this adventure, as ever, he has lots to deal with as readers will discover: ‘I got in hot water with Mom, almost lost my best friend (the furry one), launched my very own business empire, survived the Great Dog War of January, and learned a little magic along the way.’ Events unfold at pace, with lots of humour, and the added treat of regular cartoon-style illustrations. Kids won’t notice how fast the pages are turning, and the first thing they’ll want to do when they reach the end is pick up another book.
This is just one in a series of books for children by James Patterson, all of them recommended for Wimpy Kid fans. UK authors encouraging the same reading for pleasure include David Baddiel, Danny Wallace and Steve Cole. ~ Andrea Reece
*** There's a helpful activity pack to accompany Dog's Best Friend with ideas for discussion questions and ways to further explore some of the themes raised in this and other books in the Middle School series. There are also some fun activities too - download it here.
- Oscar Smith, age 8 - 'This is a laugh your socks off book with lots of wacky hijinks and cheeky puns!!????'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'One of the best books I have ever read. I love the Middle School series and I think this is the best one yet. If you like Wimpy Kid and Tom Gates then you will love this too.'
- Katelyn Keast, age 9 - 'I really like this book because it’s so funny and when I started reading I couldn’t stop. This book is so easy and fun to read I love it.'
- Bryher Humphryes - 'I really enjoyed Middle School: Just my Rotten Luck because it's really funny and hilarious and the cartoon drawings are amazing.'
- Toby Jarvis, age 10 - 'This book is about a boy called Rafe who has an amazing passion for art he describes himself as a loser but throughout the year it gets better for him. I loved this book and now my brother is reading it and he loves it to.'
- Josh Curtis, age 13 - 'Overall I think this was a very good book and I wanted to carry on reading as it was very interesting and funny. I would suggest this for 10 years and over.'
- Sophia Curtis, age 9 - 'I really like this book and think that people 9+ boy or girl.'
- Baqir Saleem, age 10 - 'Join Rafe on his amazing journey through middle school and see how he encounters ups and downs through his school life and copes through getting bullied by the brutal Miller the Killer...'
- Isabelle Wood, age 9 - 'I really enjoyed this book and recommend to everyone.'
- Danny Belton, age 10 - 'I really liked this book. As usual James Patterson has done a great job at writing this book and I hope he does more books in this series.'
- Hannah Baer, age 12 - 'Personally, I enjoy these books because lots of people read them and they are funny and normally easy to understand.'
- Nicholas Butler, age 9 - 'Girls will like it, but I think boys would like it more, especially if they don’t particularly like reading as it’s easy to read and really funny in places.'
Win a Middle School Goody Bag!
Middle School: The Worst Days of My Life has had the Hollywood treatment and is now available as a movie on Netflicks! To mark Rafe Khatchadorian's celebrity rise we are giving away THREE fantastic goody bags fillled with Middle School treats including a rucksack, pencil, notepad and ruler as well as a copy of The Worst Days of My Life paperback!
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 2 March 2017. The winners will be notified by 16 March 2017.
Middle School: Dog's Best Friend by James Patterson
It's a dog-eat-dog world, and Rafe Khatchadorian is just trying to live in it. Life in middle school is finally starting to seem bearable - until Rafe spots his grandmother standing in the free-meal line at the local soup kitchen. To help earn some money for the family, Rafe concocts a brilliant plan - a dog-walking business that soon turns into a huge money-making neighbourhood empire. He'll even have extra cash to buy his own WormHole Deluxe Multi-Platform GameBox!
That is, until two terrible twins launch the Great Dog War by sabotaging Rafe's flyers and stealing his customers. Plus, his bratty kid sister Georgia has skipped a grade - so now she's in all of Rafe's classes. Throw a kid a bone!
Rafe Khatchadorian is getting the Hollywood treatment in a film version of Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life starring Griffin Gluck, Lauren Graham, Rob Riggle and Thomas Barbusca.
Find out more at middleschoolmovie.com.
And there's lots of news and fun activities on the Middle School books here.
Praise for the Middle School series:
“An excellent read” The Guardian Children’s Website on Middle School: Lost in London
“A great pick for reluctant readers” Amazon.co.uk reviewer on Middle School: Ultimate Showdown
“Middle School is my favourite set of books” Amazon.co.uk reviewer on Middle School: How I Survived Bullies, Broccoli and Snake Hill
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by James Patterson
Author's Facebook Latest
Arrow (Young) an imprint of Cornerstone
20th October 2016
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley