Written by Marissa Meyer
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
In a Nutshell: Heart, Hunger and Wonderland awaits… | Fans of fairy tale fantasy - or readers who’ve wondered how the Queen of Hearts came to be the angry “off with their heads!” screeching sovereign we know from Alice in Wonderland – will devour this delicious novel in which romance, adventure and the beauty of baking abounds.
Before she became the Queen of Hearts whom Alice encounters in Wonderland, Catherine was a girl who aspired to open a bakery and fall in love. But Catherine’s mother has other ideas; she believes her daughter could become the next queen. At the gloriously evoked Royal Ball in Heart Castle, Catherine is radiant in her red gown (everyone else wears black and white). She catches the eye of the King, while her own gaze lingers long on the charismatic court Jester, with whom she embarks on a secret liaison…
The concept is clever and classily executed by the New York Times-bestselling author of The Lunar Chronicles, and Catherine’s journey is beset with tragic conflicts – passion versus duty, heart versus head – that keep the plot dashing along faster than the White Rabbit diving down a hole. Recommended for fans of Daniele Paige, Robin McKinley, Lee Bardugo, Sarah J. Maas and Zoe Marriott. ~ Joanne Owen
Teens/YA's love to read and so in addition to the review by one of the Lovereading4kids editorial experts some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were also lucky enough to read and review this title. Click here to read their full reviews.
- Zara Kazi, age 18 - 'This book was wonderfully mad and heart-breaking. A must read for everyone who enjoys the classic, Alice in Wonderland...I cannot express how much I love this book!'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 13 - 'Heartless is an exciting and bewitching tale of a girl who loves to bake, and whose heart and ambitions threaten to be her downfall...an incredible story, and I loved it!'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 14 - 'Overall I enjoyed the new twist to Lewis Carroll's original story.'
- Katie Adeniji, age 16 - 'Meyer has pulled off another fictionally fantastical novel that will break your heart.'
- Beth Honeyman, age 14 - 'A fantastic read...For anyone who loves the original Wonderland characters sprinkling magic and cakes throughout. Jump in enjoy.'
- Faghra Saleem, age 13 - 'Heartless is a beautiful tale of love and betrayal. It was a heart wrenching tale that kept me on the edge of my seat and I simply could not put it down!'
- Fran Hughes, age 14 - 'Meyer has once again delivered an epic fantasy story. I wouldn't expect anything less from the best-selling author of The Lunar Chronicles series.'
- Laura Solomon - 'Perfect for teens, this gripping love story is the perfect prequel for any Alice lovers. Every story has two sides, two perspectives and two stories, this story is the other half to Alice In Wonderland.'
- Susie Holm, age 16 - 'A stomach rumbling, mind erupting story.'
- Humaira, age 18 - 'Marisa Meyer can craft a well known world so beautifully and make it her own.'
- Edel Waugh - 'Reading this story is a bit like reading Alice in Wonderland, there is a slight sense of everything being a little off centre, full of quirks and entertaining characters. I recommend this to all.'
Heartless by Marissa Meyer
Long before she was the Queen of Hearts, Catherine Pinkerton was just a girl who wanted to fall in love. Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland, and a favorite of the unmarried King of Hearts, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, all she wants is to open a shop with her best friend. But according to her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for the young woman who could be the next queen. Then Cath meets Jest, the handsome and mysterious court joker. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction.
At the risk of offending the king and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into an intense, secret courtship. Cath is determined to define her own destiny and fall in love on her terms. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.
From New York Times bestselling author of The Lunar Chronicles, Marissa Meyer, comes a vision of Wonderland like none you've seen before, telling the untold story of the girl who would the notorious Queen of Hearts.
"In Heartless, the nonsense that is Wonderland gets a reverential makeover, full of heart and its own idiosyncratic character." Gregory Maguire, author of Wicked and After Alice
“Meyer evokes the best whimsies from Lewis Carroll’s classic while giving the Queen of Hearts a backstory that may soften her most fearful haters.” Entertainment Weekly
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Marissa Meyer
Author's Facebook Latest
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
9th February 2017
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman