Atticus Claw Lends a Paw
Written by Jennifer Gray
Part of the Atticus Claw: World's Greatest Cat Detective Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2013 The clever reformed cat-burglar turned detective cat Atticus Grammaticus Cattypus Claw is back for a delightfully witty new adventure. This time, Atticus Claw gets involved in an adventure that takes him on some wild travels to find a very special Egyptian book that has been stolen from the British Museum. Can Atticus keep his cool and stay ahead of the dastardly criminals? Atticus Claws’ adventures are very funny indeed!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the Atticus Claw: World's Greatest Cat Detective Series, Atticus Claw Breaks the Law . You can read their reviews below.
- Harry Gray, age 7 - 'We really enjoyed this book especially all the characters and their names! My five year old brother enjoyed it too.' Read full review >
- Gabriel Phelan, age 10 - 'An extremely enjoyable and funny read with an amazing feline called Atticus Claw.' Read full review >
- James Galbraith, age 6 - 'Funny, mysterious and exciting not to be missed.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A really funny and exciting book. Atticus Claw Breaks the Law is purrfect!' Read full review >
- Faye Dawson, age 8 - 'Ever wondered the truth about what the animals around you are thinking? Read on to find out...' Read full review >
- Noah Hall, age 8 - 'Atticus, the world's greatest cat burglar is hired by Jimmy the Magpie to steal all the jewels in Littleton-on-Sea. Good characters and great story.' Read full review >
- Kenya Hector, age 7 - 'This book is really great I love it so much I want to read it over and over again because it was sometimes a bit funny and I kept on laughing very much.' Read full review >
- Isaac East, age 8 - 'Top score for Atticus Claw Breaks the Law – the sneakiest cat in town. Do you like villainous adventure stories? Do you like books about funny animals? If so here’s your perfect book.' Read full review >
- Ruma Pierre, age 8 - 'I loved Atticus Claws Breaks the Law because I absolutely could not put it down. Also I just got into it as I started reading it.' Read full review >
- Jessica Cobbin, age 7 - 'Atticus is a really cool cat...This is a really good book to read and I think everyone will love it. I wish that I could have a cat like Atticus.' Read full review >
- Holly Wilkins, age 10 - 'You can't put it down! You always want to turn the page to find out what happens next...One of my favourite books. You must read this book!' Read full review >
- Bethany Urquhart, age 8 - 'I couldn’t put it down, it was like there was glue on the spine!' Read full review >
- Brodie Greenslade, age 8 - 'An exciting tale of a cat, some jewellery thieves and an Inspector called Cheddar. Funny, thrilling and definitely recommended!' Read full review >
Atticus Claw Lends a Paw by Jennifer Gray
Atticus Grammatticus Cattypuss Claw, the world's greatest police cat, is back. When the kittens at the local cats' home are wrongly suspected of a knitting crime spree, Inspector Cheddar is baffled. Atticus must step in to find the real culprits. In an adventure that takes him from Littleton-on-Sea to the sands of the Egyptian desert, Atticus has to use all his tabby talents to keep one paw ahead of Ginger Biscuit and Jimmy Magpie and his gang. Can Atticus reach the lost city of cats and save the priceless treasure from the villains before it's too late?
With the peculiar balance of humans involved (it's notable just how little the human children, who you might think would be the easy way in to the story for the target audience, have to do and say) and the increase in the bizarre, we're on very different ground. In the end, as well, there is almost a pastiche side to things, which brings a greater edge to proceedings, serving to make the book more amusing perhaps for the curious older reader. Not too old, I would suggest, for there is a side to the author's style which will exclude the more literate and discerning. Nobody says anything - instead they vocalise in the most dramatic way possible. The bickering magpies aren't that great fun, even when using a book of spells, and the human/cat relationship is almost cloying in its use of hugging and complete understanding. But I do think this series has some oomph and panache to it. The second book, concerning the Crown Jewels and the Tower of London, was but a stepping-stone to ancient Egypt, it seems - who knows where Atticus might end up in the future? These are books designed purely for entertainment, and at that they're very successful, so I assume we will get as many as Ms Gray can find rhyming titles for. -- John Lloyd Bookbag
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Jennifer Gray
Faber Children's Books an imprint of Faber and Faber
15th August 2013
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques