Harvey Drew & the Bin Men from Outer Space
Written by Cas Lester
Part of the Harvey Drew Adventures Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
March 2014 Debut of the Month Fun and lively this will appeal to fans of David Walliams. Harvey Drew is an ordinary eleven-year-old who dreams of great adventures in outer space. The Toxic Spew is an intergalactic waste disposal ship. The two are on a collision course for chaos!
A Piece of Passion from Sara O'Connor, Editorial Director I have read a lot of fiction series for boys and I can assure you that Harvey Drew is special. It has all the action, all the humour and all the story that you might expect, but it also has a quiet lesson to be learned. Harvey exemplifies good leadership. He would never ask his crew to do something he wouldn't do himself. He uses his diplomacy skills and shows his crew how to work together to make things a little bit better than they were yesterday. These are values I want to pass on to my son - buried in the heart of a rip-roaring, giggle-inducing space adventure!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'This is an absolutely hilarious story. It made me laugh out loud and I stormed through it in a single sitting. It's the funniest book I've read in a long time. You must read it!' Read full review >
- Patrick John Griffith, age 8 - 'This belly achingly funny adventure story is the best book I have ever read. It would suit all adventure lovers who love a chuckle! Five star fun!' Read full review >
- Caroline Holland, aged 10 - 'a great book for anyone who is into space, aliens and a bit of adventure.' Read full review >
- Rohan Delamere, age 8 - 'Harvey Drew and the Bin Men from Outer Space is a great book. Harvey gets transported to outer space and becomes the captain of a space ship for space bin men.' Read full review >
- Matilda Greenacre, age 7 - 'Harvey is an ordinary boy that ends up on an intergalactic space adventure aboard the Toxic Spew (a waste disposal ship in space). This is a brilliant adventure story, that’s really fun to read.' Read full review >
- Ross Dawson, age 10 - 'This book gives Harvey an adventure that boys like me can only dream of! Read it for yourself and see if you agree...' Read full review >
- George Johnson, age 7 - 'This book was mega-funny, I just couldn't stop laughing. My mum came upstairs after bedtime to see what all the noise was about!' Read full review >
- Oliver Cooper, age 9 - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this book and couldn’t put it down!' Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'This was a really exiting book with lots of funny creatures. Harvey found himself in an unexpected place and had lots of adventures.' Read full review >
- Toby Slocombe, age 10 - 'This fantastic book is full of a child’s imagination. The characters fill the book with laughter and gives the text a jolly feeling. The amazing plots are well built up.' Read full review >
- Alina Wraith, age 8 - 'Harvey Drew and the Binmen From Outer Space was a great book...Overall I would give it ten out of ten.' Read full review >
- Alexander Bateman, age 8 - 'The book overall is very good and one of the best books I’ve ever read...Cas Lester is now one of my favourite authors because she is very imaginative.' Read full review >
- Emily Lonsdale, aged 8 - 'I liked it because though I have read many books about adventures in space this one was different. You never quite knew what was going to happen next.' Read full review >
- Toby Pickering, age 7 - 'I liked this book because Harvey used his knowledge of captaining his football team to help him to captain the Toxic Spew.' Read full review >
- Joseph Harris-hart, age 11 - 'This is a very humorous story about a boy called Harvey Drew who suddenly finds himself on the flight deck of the Toxic Spew, a waste disposal spaceship.' Read full review >
- Barnaby Foyster, age 8 - 'I love this book. It is very exciting. I was thinking 'is he going to get home? Is he going to be alright?' I would recommend this book to friends who like space adventure.' Read full review >
- Sophie Sharp - 'Harvey Drew loves everything about space. He has an alien app on his computer because he thinks there is life in outer space and he wants to get one of their messages...I love this book. It is very exciting.' Read full review
Harvey Drew & the Bin Men from Outer Space by Cas Lester
After Harvey unwittingly responds to an alien signal, he is transported to the flight deck of The Toxic Spew by the ship's bad-tempered computer, who promptly loses his return address. Even though none of the crew have even heard of Earth, let alone met an Earthling, Harvey becomes Captain of the stroppy, pizza-obsessed, brave (but grubby) crew, and almost immediately has to save them from poisonous pink maggots, dangerous exploding space-rubbish and a multiple spaceship pile-up on Hyperspace way B16. Luckily, leading his rabble crew out of danger isn't so different from captaining his football team, and it turns out Harvey is just the boy to save the day!
Hugely original and wildly funny, a true page turner that will delight any child Jacqueline Wilson
About the Author
Interest Age: From 5
More books by Cas Lester
Hot Key Books
6th March 2014
Hot Key Books is an imprint of Hot Key
Hot Key Books, a division of Bonnier Publishing, publish stand out, quality fiction, for 9 – 19 year olds, print and digital that people like to talk about. If you are looking for something a little bit different from your books, something a little bit special then Hot Key Books may well have just what you want.
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16