LoveReading View on Harvey Drew & the Bin Men from Outer Space
March 2014 Debut of the Month Fun and lively this will appeal to fans of David Walliams. Harvey Drew is an ordinary eleven-year-old who dreams of great adventures in outer space. The Toxic Spew is an intergalactic waste disposal ship. The two are on a collision course for chaos!
A Piece of Passion from Sara O'Connor, Editorial Director I have read a lot of fiction series for boys and I can assure you that Harvey Drew is special. It has all the action, all the humour and all the story that you might expect, but it also has a quiet lesson to be learned. Harvey exemplifies good leadership. He would never ask his crew to do something he wouldn't do himself. He uses his diplomacy skills and shows his crew how to work together to make things a little bit better than they were yesterday. These are values I want to pass on to my son - buried in the heart of a rip-roaring, giggle-inducing space adventure!
Harvey Drew & the Bin Men from Outer Space Synopsis
After Harvey unwittingly responds to an alien signal, he is transported to the flight deck of The Toxic Spew by the ship's bad-tempered computer, who promptly loses his return address. Even though none of the crew have even heard of Earth, let alone met an Earthling, Harvey becomes Captain of the stroppy, pizza-obsessed, brave (but grubby) crew, and almost immediately has to save them from poisonous pink maggots, dangerous exploding space-rubbish and a multiple spaceship pile-up on Hyperspace way B16. Luckily, leading his rabble crew out of danger isn't so different from captaining his football team, and it turns out Harvey is just the boy to save the day!
Harvey Drew & the Bin Men from Outer Space Reader Reviews
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'This is an absolutely hilarious story. It made me laugh out loud and I stormed through it in a single sitting. It's the funniest book I've read in a long time. You must read it!' Read full review >
- Patrick John Griffith, age 8 - 'This belly achingly funny adventure story is the best book I have ever read. It would suit all adventure lovers who love a chuckle! Five star fun!' Read full review >
- Caroline Holland, aged 10 - 'a great book for anyone who is into space, aliens and a bit of adventure.' Read full review >
- Rohan Delamere, age 8 - 'Harvey Drew and the Bin Men from Outer Space is a great book. Harvey gets transported to outer space and becomes the captain of a space ship for space bin men.' Read full review >
- Matilda Greenacre, age 7 - 'Harvey is an ordinary boy that ends up on an intergalactic space adventure aboard the Toxic Spew (a waste disposal ship in space). This is a brilliant adventure story, that’s really fun to read.' Read full review >
- Ross Dawson, age 10 - 'This book gives Harvey an adventure that boys like me can only dream of! Read it for yourself and see if you agree...' Read full review >
- George Johnson, age 7 - 'This book was mega-funny, I just couldn't stop laughing. My mum came upstairs after bedtime to see what all the noise was about!' Read full review >
- Oliver Cooper, age 9 - 'I thoroughly enjoyed this book and couldn’t put it down!' Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'This was a really exiting book with lots of funny creatures. Harvey found himself in an unexpected place and had lots of adventures.' Read full review >
- Toby Slocombe, age 10 - 'This fantastic book is full of a child’s imagination. The characters fill the book with laughter and gives the text a jolly feeling. The amazing plots are well built up.' Read full review >
- Alina Wraith, age 8 - 'Harvey Drew and the Binmen From Outer Space was a great book...Overall I would give it ten out of ten.' Read full review >
- Alexander Bateman, age 8 - 'The book overall is very good and one of the best books I’ve ever read...Cas Lester is now one of my favourite authors because she is very imaginative.' Read full review >
- Emily Lonsdale, aged 8 - 'I liked it because though I have read many books about adventures in space this one was different. You never quite knew what was going to happen next.' Read full review >
- Toby Pickering, age 7 - 'I liked this book because Harvey used his knowledge of captaining his football team to help him to captain the Toxic Spew.' Read full review >
- Joseph Harris-hart, age 11 - 'This is a very humorous story about a boy called Harvey Drew who suddenly finds himself on the flight deck of the Toxic Spew, a waste disposal spaceship.' Read full review >
- Barnaby Foyster, age 8 - 'I love this book. It is very exciting. I was thinking 'is he going to get home? Is he going to be alright?' I would recommend this book to friends who like space adventure.' Read full review >
- Sophie Sharp - 'Harvey Drew loves everything about space. He has an alien app on his computer because he thinks there is life in outer space and he wants to get one of their messages...I love this book. It is very exciting.' Read full review
Harvey Drew & the Bin Men from Outer Space Press Reviews
Hugely original and wildly funny, a true page turner that will delight any child Jacqueline Wilson
If you loved this, you might like these...
All versions of this book
Publication date: 06/03/2014
Publisher: Hot Key Books
About Cas Lester
Cas spent many years having a fabulous time, and a great deal of fun, working in children's television drama with CBBC. She developed and executive produced lots of programmes including Jackanory, Muddle Earth, The Magician of Samarkand, Big Kids and The Story of Tracy Beaker. Her programmes have been nominated for numerous awards, including BAFTAS, Royal Television Awards and Broadcast Children's Awards. Now she's having a fabulous time, and a great deal of fun, writing books for children, helping out in a primary school library and mucking about with her family. She has four children, three chickens and a ...
More About Cas Lester