Written by Rebecca Westcott
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 - March 2014 Debut and Mega Book of the Month The big emotions at the heart of this story will grab readers’ attention and guide them through a painful and heart-warming story. Liv’s life is pretty typical: there are the ups and downs of friends and school and testing her parents about how much they will let her make her own decisions. Life is a bit extra complicated because of her brother’s behaviour but Liv is used to it and mostly she can manage that too. But then Mum begins to behave very oddly. When Liv learns the truth her life is turned upside down. Through her diaries and the photos she takes and helped by Mum’s diaries too Liv charts the dramatic weeks that change her life.
Kids love to read and a small number of members were lucky enough to be invited to review Dandelion Clocks. You can read their reviews below.
- Emily Mills - 'I really enjoyed this book and I would recommend to a friend.' Read full review >
- Olivia Wright, age 11 - 'The book Dandelion Clocks is an interesting heart-touching, beautifully written story which I would definitely recommend people to read.' Read full review >
- Chiquita Boyd - 'sensitive, shocking and sometimes heartbreaking...I really enjoyed Dandelion Clocks.' Read full review >
- Rosa Boran, age 14 - 'This was a brilliant book and I loved every second of it. I couldn't put it down for even a minute. It was brilliantly told and I'd recommend it for sure.' Read full review >
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 11 - 'I thought this was a very heartwarming book...I would give this book four out of five stars.' Read full review >
- Charlotte Rosevear, age 10 - 'You should read it.' Read full review >
- Katie Johnson, age 10 - 'This is a book about a girl called Liv whose mum becomes poorly. She develops an interest in photography. And then life changes...I would highly recommend it!' Read full review >
- Holly Carver, age 11 - 'Dandelion Clocks is a sad and touching book...you can really feel the sadness of the family, but there is also drama - I love this book!' Read full review >
- Imogen Breaks, age 11 - 'Olivia has a passion for photography and a disastrous home life. With a terminally ill mother,a lack of friends and a brother with his own problems, life becomes an emotional mess. Olivia is saved by a diary - not hers.' Read full review >
- Alana Lowe, age 16 - 'This book was brilliant, very sad but it showed a very loving relationship between Liv and her mother. Made me cry but I loved the book!' Read full review >
- Charlotte Kirk, age 12 - 'This was a fantastic book and a gripping read...I sat under my duvet with my torch until I finished it!' Read full review >
- Hilary Amasse, age 10 - 'Dandelion Clocks is a great book. I very much loved it and all the main characters. Olivia’s feelings make the book a real page turner!' Read full review >
- Elana Lewis, age 10 - 'It is a funny, melancholy book which will put tears to your eyes as well as laughter in your mouth.' Read full review >
- Mia Cook, age 11 - 'Overall, I really enjoyed Dandelion Clocks, I would recommend it to anyone who loves mystery, photography and drama.' Read full review >
- Ella Neal, age 11 - 'because it is a very interesting story about an 11 year old life and all the ups and downs in it.' Read full review >
- Chloe Pickering, age 10 - 'A brilliant story which will make you feel for Liv no matter who you are.' Read full review >
Dandelion Clocks by Rebecca Westcott
Liv takes us on a journey through her life from Thirteen Weeks Before to Six Months After . We discover Liv's passion for photography, her brother's obsession with sticking to the rules, the stupidity of Moronic Louise at school, and how the family copes as Mum's terminal illness takes hold...Guided by Mum's own childhood diaries, Liv finds a new way to live.
Debut author Rebecca Westcott possesses the rare talent of being able to capture a young voice with an intense and evocative authenticity. Dandelion Clocks is real, funny, utterly touching and absolutely heart-warming. Despite the sadness at the heart of the story, every reader will laugh and keep on turning the pages, charmed by Liv and her mum.
Dandelion Clocks will be loved by fans of Jacqueline Wilson, Cathy Cassidy or Annabel Pitcher.
A strong, sensitive debut - powerful and beautifully written. -- Cathy Cassidy
A brilliantly told, ultra-modern story about a significant six months in eleven year old Olivia's life - it should be sold with a large box of tissues! -- Jacqueline Wilson
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Rebecca Westcott
Author's Facebook Latest
Puffin Books an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
6th March 2014
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils