Sedric and the Great Pig Rescue
Written by Angie Morgan
Illustrated by Angie Morgan
Part of the Sedric Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
March 2015 Debut of the Month The Dark Ages – ‘the bit of history that was left behind after the Romans left’ according to the author – provides the setting for a story of resourceful peasants up against villainous greedy barons. Sedric lives with his family, pet pig Denzel and friends in the village of Little Soggy-in-the Mud. They have a lot of turnips, a lot of mud, and not much of anything else, but they’re happy, at least until the Baron takes all their turnips, and Denzel. It’s very silly, but very funny, and very inventive. Angie Morgan’s exuberant black and white illustrations are hugely appealing while the typography with different fonts and words set in capital letters reinforces the boisterousness of the story. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'It’s crazy and funny and brilliant. I loved the cartoon style illustrations and I romped through it in one go before starting it all over again.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'What a fantastic book. I read this in two nights as it was so enjoyable...This book is a bit of a cross between Tom Gates, Wimpy Kid and Horrible Histories! '
- Faye Dawson, age 9 - 'I was surprised by how funny this book was and I would recommend it to both boys and girls who enjoy a good laugh!'
- Belinda, Oliver and Lucy Brooke - 'the story captures the absolute essence of what it’s like to be on the receiving end of unfair treatment and rules that make no sense.'
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 7 - 'I liked the book because it was funny and had pictures to break up the story.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 7 - 'You will have to read this cool action-packed book to find out! I recommend it to 6+ early readers. I give it 11/10.'
- Edgar Perez, age 7 - 'For the next book I recommend nothing. It was AMAZING!'
- Darcy McIlroy, age 7 - 'Sedric wants to get his pig back from the new baron but he has to break into the castle first. A funny adventure for some muddy friends!'
- Rodrigo - 'I very much enjoyed this book and thought it was very good.'
- Alex Hall, age 9 - 'I thought the start of the book was really good, the first word AARRGH draws you in. It is a funny book, the characters are quite silly and climsy and I like the characters names e.g. Sedric and Urk.'
- Harry Gray, age 7 - 'Hilarious! Brilliant fun.'
- James Wood, age 8 - 'Good, but not great. I chuckled at a few bits, but it's not a book where I'd be excited to hear that there was another one in the series to read.'
Sedric and the Great Pig Rescue by Angie Morgan
Being a boy in the Dark Ages village of Little-Soggy-in-the-Mud can be pretty rough. And muddy. And there are LOADS of rats. But Sedric, his friends and his beloved pig, Denzel, love this life! So when the dastardly Baron Dennis nicks Denzel and threatens the whole village, Sedric and his friends will need to use all their tricks and cunning to outwit him. Can they rescue Denzel before it's too late?
This is a hilarious madcap adventure perfect for young fans of Cressida Cowell's How to Train Your Dragon.
Winner of the Turnip Prize* *Only joking, there is no Turnip Prize. Made you look though!
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Angie Morgan
Egmont Books Ltd an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd
26th February 2015
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques