The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow
Written by Katherine Woodfine
Part of the The Sinclair's Mysteries Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - June 2015 Debut of the Month An Edwardian department store provides a glamorous setting for this sparkling girls’ detective story, and there’s something of the Little Princess about its central character Sophie Taylor too. Left penniless when her father dies she’s pleased to find a job in the millinery department of Sinclair’s. The other girls decide she’s stuck-up but she makes friends with Billy a junior porter and beautiful Lil, who models clothes during the day and dances in the chorus at night. A daring burglary plunges them all into an exciting – and dangerous – adventure. Sophie is an appealing heroine, the mystery is cleverly plotted and leads to a thrilling climax, while the period details – clothes, hats, tea and cake – add to the charm. Splendid! ~ Andrea Reece
The Good Book Guide Review. Sophie is excited to start work at Sinclair’s Department Store, where she makes friends with Lilian Rose, Billy and Joe. But then the priceless Clockwork Sparrow is stolen. Can Sophie and her friends recover it and save Sophie’s job? This evocative historical mystery successfully builds up a feeling of suspense as well as creating a strong but sympathetic heroine. (Ages 9–11)
~ Andrea Rayner
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Rose Hopkins, age 9 - '. A breathtaking book, chock a block with excitement and you never know what’s going to happen next.'
- Katie, age 10 - Freegrounds junior School - 'A brilliant historical detective novel – I read it in one sitting and couldn’t put it down! The characters were really believable and the story was so exciting. My few favourite!'
- Celeste Phelan, age 13 - 'An incredible read full of mystery, wonder and adventure...This is now one of my top ten.'
- Adiella Norridge, age 11 - 'Really good, really gripping: a mystery you have to read!'
- Indiana Morgan, age 10 - St Paul's CE Primary School, - 'I found this book a real page-turner, it has murders, spies and gangs of thieves. Thrilling!'
- Cait Galbraith, age 9 - 'A ladylike mystery that was shocking and mysterious with every new chapter. A fantastic book that was incredibly unique.'
- Hannah Minton, age 9 - 'is fast paced and there is always something going on...I couldn’t put this book down.'
- Charlotte, age 9 - 'A thrilling page-turner of a book. Loved every second of it.'
- Holly Wilkins, age 11 - 'Page-turner, amazing, number 1 book.'
- Frances Garey, age 7 - 'I really enjoyed The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow because I like detective stories especially when the person isn't supposed to be solving the mystery.'
- Beth Urquhart, age 8 - 'The mystery keeps you on your toes and just when you think you know "who dunnit" another mystery is revealed.'
- Heather Greenan, age 11 - 'I found this book exciting because it was full of mystery.'
- Noah Hall, age 9 - 'This story is an interesting detective mystery set in Victorian London.'
The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow by Katherine Woodfine
You are cordially invited to attend the Grand Opening of Sinclair's department store! Enter a world of bonbons, hats, perfumes and MYSTERIES around every corner. WONDER at the daring theft of the priceless CLOCKWORK SPARROW! TREMBLE as the most DASTARDLY criminals in London enact their wicked plans! GASP as our bold heroines, Miss Sophie Taylor and Miss Lilian Rose, CRACK CODES, DEVOUR ICED BUNS and vow to bring the villians to justice...
It is perfect for fans of Jacqueline Wilson, Chris Riddell and Enid Blyton.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Katherine Woodfine
Egmont Books Ltd an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd
4th June 2015
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11