In Darkling Wood
Written by Emma Carroll
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Julia Eccleshare's Pick of the Month, July 2015 There’s magic afoot in this cleverly constructed story which interweaves two stories of girls growing up a century apart and yet becoming friends as they each come to terms with hopes and fears. Present-day Alice is sent to live with Nell, her previously unknown grandmother on November 11 when her brother is rushed into hospital to undergo life-saving heart surgery. Nell’s house is surrounded by dark woods which she is determined to cut down much to the dislike of her neighbours. Exploring the woods Alice meets Flo, a strangely dressed girl in a red coat. On 11 November one hundred years earlier, Flo is also waiting for the safe return of her brother. Armistice has been declared. Surely now he will come home from the war? Flo introduces Alice to the magic of the woodlands and to fairies who she believes live in it. Can Alice believe in the magic too and will it help her brother survive? Emma Carroll uses the idea of fairies and the magical opportunities they can bring creatively. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Maya Watson, age 9 - 'I really, really enjoyed this book...I wanted to read onto the next chapter every time I finished one! My dad even read it too and he’s 45!'
- Hannah Minton, age 9 - 'In Darkling Wood is a great book that I thoroughly enjoyed.'
- Isaac Phelan, age 11 - 'This thrilling novel is certain to excite many children who believe in magic. Packed with adventure, it will be a brilliant boredom buster.'
- Judith Smith, age 9 3/4 - 'This is honestly one of the best books I have ever read. My friend Amy asked if she could borrow the book after I had finished it. She said it looked creepy.'
- Lucy Keaveny, age 9 - 'Not a typical book about fairies. A great read that was hard to put down.'
- Mairi Bauer, age 11 - 'The saddest start to a book ever.....it's not about fairies.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'The unravelling of this mystery was thrilling and well worth reading. This is Emma Carroll’s best book yet.'
- Year 5 Book Group - Baring Primary School - 'This is the best book we have read in a long time. We’ll definitely be exploring the other books this author has written.'
- Erica - 'The book is a very good book. I couldn’t take my eyes of it. When I was reading the book, I just knew it would be good since the day I saw the front cover.'
- Isabel, age 8 - 'I really enjoyed reading this book it was brilliant!'
In Darkling Wood by Emma Carroll
'You're telling me there are fairies in this wood?'
When Alice's brother gets a longed-for chance for a heart transplant, Alice is suddenly bundled off to her estranged grandmother's house. There's nothing good about staying with Nell, except for the beautiful Darkling Wood at the end of her garden - but Nell wants to have it cut down. Alice feels at home there, at peace, and even finds a friend, Flo. But Flo doesn't seem to go to the local school and no one in town has heard of a girl with that name. When Flo shows Alice the surprising secrets of Darkling Wood, Alice starts to wonder, what is real? And can she find out in time to save the wood from destruction?
‘A moving story of families, friendship and fairies but most of all of hope’ The Bookbag
‘This book confirms [Carroll’s] position as a leading children's author.’ Bookseller
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Emma Carroll
Author's Facebook Latest
Faber Children's Books an imprint of Faber & Faber
2nd July 2015
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils