Julius Zebra Rumble with the Romans!
Written by Gary Northfield
Illustrated by Gary Northfield
Part of the Julius Zebra Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Cartoonist Gary Northfield gives a fresh take on all things Roman in this riotous romp starring Julius, a most unusual zebra. Julius has a knack of getting into trouble! As a result he has had a great many fights with everyone from his mother onwards before he finds himself swept off to Rome to appear as a gladiator in the famous Colosseum in Rome! Told in words and pictures, Julius’s story is witty, ridiculous and just plain good fun. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Emily Lonsdale, age 9 - 'I loved it because I am doing the Romans at school at the moment...I liked all the funny bits especially when the Zebra was being chased by a lion.'
- Alex Hall, age 9 - 'This book is about a zebra called Julius, who gets caught by some Romans...I also liked the illustrations and the way you have to read the speech bubbles to read the story.'
- Bethany, age 8 - 'I like how the comic style illustrations carry on the story rather than just being a 'picture on a page'...It is a bit like 'diary of a wimpy zebra!’'
- Review by Bethany’s Mum - 'I could see both boys and girls reading it and also that it might tempt some more reluctant readers with the great illustrations.'
- Isaac East, age 8 - 'Ten out of ten for Julius and his friends. This is the best book I have been sent so far!...This book was so full of excitement and suspense I could not put it down.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 7 - 'You need to read this hilarious, laugh out loud book! I like the cool illustrations and I recommend it to 7+ good readers with an interest in the Romans! I give it 11/10.'
- Cora Willans - 'VERY FUNNY!! I would give this book 10/10!'
- Monty and Hattie Benton, age 7 and 9 - 'This is a really funny book. The best way to find out lots about gladiators in Roman times, laughing out loud along the way!'
- Grace Phelan, age 7 - 'You should read this book because it’s funny, excellent and superb. I love it!!!!!!'
- Reggie Wilfred, age 10 - 'This book is good and I know people that like Romans they will like this book also the author, Gary Northfield uses slang.'
- Alexander Kearsey, age 8 - 'A very funny book. Who knew that zebras even existed in the Roman Times! You will soon find out what a brave but silly zebra he is!'
- Oscar Smith, age 7 - 'A laugh out loud book where a zebra goes on a wild adventure. Great pictures from Gary Northfield as well.'
Julius Zebra Rumble with the Romans! by Gary Northfield
From the hilarious, celebrated cartoonist Gary Northfield - author of The Terrible Tales of the Teenytinysaurs! - comes a brand-new illustrated chapter book series set in Roman times!
From a smelly watering hole deep in the heart of the Serengeti to the ferocious clamour of the Colosseum, join Julius Zebra and his motley menagerie of friends as they gear up to be ...gladiators! Only if they win the love of the Roman crowds will they win back their freedom. But do Julius and his pals have what it takes to succeed in a world where only the meanest and toughest survive? Madagascar meets Gladiator in this exciting, action-packed and hysterically funny story brimming with entertaining Roman facts.
Bonkers but brilliant angels & urchins [A] pleasingly daft romp... the book has a very Horrible Histories sense of humour and grounds its silliness with facts about gladiatorial combat. Financial Times
It's perfect for 6 to 8 year olds, and especially for those fascinated by the Romans as there are plenty of snippets of history to be picked up while enjoying the story. Parents in Touch
My favourite character is the warthog because he is always citing uninteresting facts, even at the very worst of times. I found this both funny and annoying and he reminded me of my brother. -- Reader Review Guardian Children's Book Site
The comically classical way to learn about the Romans! Lancashire Evening Post
Completely ridiculous plot line and zany characters are highly entertaining and somehow manage to combine daft antics with historical facts. Great! WRD
As well as providing much hilarity Julius Zebra cunningly educates about Ancient Rome without ever feeling like a lesson [...] A wonderfully ridiculous book; full of fun it will educate and entertain in equal measures. Highly recommended. The School Librarian
Sometimes a book comes along that is pure joy, and this is one of them. Literary Review
This quirky, humorous book is part graphic novel, which makes it ideal for reluctant readers. Washington Independent Review of Books
About the Author
Interest Age: From 8
More books by Gary Northfield
Walker Books Ltd
7th April 2016
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale