The Bubble Boy
Written by Stewart Foster
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | Julia Eccleshare's Pick of the Month, May/June 2016 Deeply moving and utterly gripping, Bubble Boy is a stunning novel that makes you laugh and cry. And think. Joe lives in a sterile world. Wired up to monitors and drips, he can’t remember ever having left his hospital room. Even his visitors are a potential risk in case they bring in infections. Everyone cares for Joe by keeping him as enclosed as it is possible to be. But then he has a visitor who has a quite different view of what Joe’s life should be like. Suddenly Joe’s world is full of information about the world outside and his dreams of going out grow bigger and bigger. Can Joe ever fulfil his dream? Debut author Stewart Foster carries off an astonishing feat of storytelling in this exceptional book. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Julia Eccleshare's Picks of the Month for May 2016
The Bubble Boy by Stewart Foster
There is a Tribe of Kids by Lane Smith
Captain Pug by Laura James
The First Hippo on the Moon by David Walliams
Julia Eccleshare's Picks of the Month for June 2016
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 11 - 'A truly inspirational and unique story. Joe is an eleven year old who has an immune disorder and has spent all his life in hospital. Amir arrives and this is where the story comes to life. Fabulous!'
- Emily Yates, age 9 - 'The Bubble Boy is the best book I have reviewed so far and by far the most realistic...A surprising, thought provoking book which makes me realise how blessed I am. I really enjoyed it!'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A heart-wrenching, emotional character study of a boy in a bubble who lives life through his screens and his dreams.'
- Rose Roberts, age 12 - 'I loved this book. I could happily just read about Joe's everyday life without anything particularly exciting happening, and was hooked from the start. When I did get to the truly thrilling bit: wow!'
- Hattie Benton, age 10 - 'This is a great book which keeps you anticipating what is to come. The characters make you laugh and cry but above all, make you happy and appreciate what you have.'
- Charlotte Cassidy, age 11 - 'A brilliant, thoughtful book that kept me hooked all the way until the last page. An emotional journey following Joe and his life in his bubble.'
- Alexander Bisland, age 10 - 'Bubble Boy is an emotional debut novel about a boy called Joe...I give it 5***** and it is definitely in my top 10 books.'
- Alexander Butler, age 12 - 'A very sad story but absolutely awesome too.'
The Bubble Boy by Stewart Foster
They call it a crash when the blood goes from my head to my feet, pours out into the room and drains through a hole in the middle of the floor. They call it a crash when the walls start spinning and the pictures blur. Then the ceiling turns black and the floor turns black and I don't know which way I'm facing any more.
Eleven-year-old Joe can't remember a life outside of his hospital room, with its beeping machines and view of London's rooftops. His condition means he's not allowed outside, not even for a moment, and his few visitors risk bringing life-threatening germs inside his 'bubble'. But then someone new enters his world and changes it for ever.
The Bubble Boy is the story of how Joe spends his days, copes with his loneliness and frustrations, and looks - with superhero-syle bravery, curiosity and hope - to a future without limits. Expect superheroes, super nurses and a few tears from this truly unique story.
Praise for The Bubble Boy:
‘Poignant, hopeful and heartbreaking’ Fiona Noble, Children’s Editor - The Bookseller
‘I cheered and cried and hoped – for Joe, and for the amazing people in his life who care enough to be heroes right alongside him. Simply wonderful.’ Jenn Bennett, author of Night Owls
‘A gripping and deeply moving book’ Jamila Gavin, author of Coram Boy
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Stewart Foster
Simon & Schuster Childrens Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster Ltd
19th May 2016
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch