The Bubble Boy
Written by Stewart Foster
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Julia Eccleshare's Pick of the Month, May/June 2016 Deeply moving and utterly gripping, Bubble Boy is a stunning novel that makes you laugh and cry. And think. Joe lives in a sterile world. Wired up to monitors and drips, he can’t remember ever having left his hospital room. Even his visitors are a potential risk in case they bring in infections. Everyone cares for Joe by keeping him as enclosed as it is possible to be. But then he has a visitor who has a quite different view of what Joe’s life should be like. Suddenly Joe’s world is full of information about the world outside and his dreams of going out grow bigger and bigger. Can Joe ever fulfil his dream? Debut author Stewart Foster carries off an astonishing feat of storytelling in this exceptional book. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Julia Eccleshare's Picks of the Month for May 2016
The Bubble Boy by Stewart Foster
There is a Tribe of Kids by Lane Smith
Captain Pug by Laura James
The First Hippo on the Moon by David Walliams
Julia Eccleshare's Picks of the Month for June 2016
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 11 - 'A truly inspirational and unique story. Joe is an eleven year old who has an immune disorder and has spent all his life in hospital. Amir arrives and this is where the story comes to life. Fabulous!'
- Emily Yates, age 9 - 'The Bubble Boy is the best book I have reviewed so far and by far the most realistic...A surprising, thought provoking book which makes me realise how blessed I am. I really enjoyed it!'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A heart-wrenching, emotional character study of a boy in a bubble who lives life through his screens and his dreams.'
- Rose Roberts, age 12 - 'I loved this book. I could happily just read about Joe's everyday life without anything particularly exciting happening, and was hooked from the start. When I did get to the truly thrilling bit: wow!'
- Hattie Benton, age 10 - 'This is a great book which keeps you anticipating what is to come. The characters make you laugh and cry but above all, make you happy and appreciate what you have.'
- Charlotte Cassidy, age 11 - 'A brilliant, thoughtful book that kept me hooked all the way until the last page. An emotional journey following Joe and his life in his bubble.'
- Alexander Bisland, age 10 - 'Bubble Boy is an emotional debut novel about a boy called Joe...I give it 5***** and it is definitely in my top 10 books.'
- Alexander Butler, age 12 - 'A very sad story but absolutely awesome too.'
The Bubble Boy by Stewart Foster
They call it a crash when the blood goes from my head to my feet, pours out into the room and drains through a hole in the middle of the floor. They call it a crash when the walls start spinning and the pictures blur. Then the ceiling turns black and the floor turns black and I don't know which way I'm facing any more.
Eleven-year-old Joe can't remember a life outside of his hospital room, with its beeping machines and view of London's rooftops. His condition means he's not allowed outside, not even for a moment, and his few visitors risk bringing life-threatening germs inside his 'bubble'. But then someone new enters his world and changes it for ever.
The Bubble Boy is the story of how Joe spends his days, copes with his loneliness and frustrations, and looks - with superhero-syle bravery, curiosity and hope - to a future without limits. Expect superheroes, super nurses and a few tears from this truly unique story.
Praise for The Bubble Boy:
‘Poignant, hopeful and heartbreaking’ Fiona Noble, Children’s Editor - The Bookseller
‘I cheered and cried and hoped – for Joe, and for the amazing people in his life who care enough to be heroes right alongside him. Simply wonderful.’ Jenn Bennett, author of Night Owls
‘A gripping and deeply moving book’ Jamila Gavin, author of Coram Boy
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Stewart Foster
Simon & Schuster Childrens Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster Ltd
19th May 2016
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11