Written by Virginia Bergin
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 - July 2014 Debut of the Month A dystopian story told with the refreshing addition of a dollop of good humour. Ruby thinks nothing of it when it begins to rain. Why should she? But, what she doesn’t know is that just one drop is all it takes for your blood to be infected. It’s hard to believe - especially for Ruby as the first she finds out about it is when she’s trying to snog the dreamy Caspar in an outside hot tub. With everyone in turmoil after the party when the rain starts falling, Ruby sets off to find her dad who, she hopes, will be safe in London. Ruby’s journey is a highly entertaining roller-coaster despite the convincing threat from the rain.
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Alice Horncastle, age 14 - 'The Rain left me speechless! It is such a unique thriller that was very fast paced - I would recommend this book to all teens as it is quite something out of the ordinary!' Read full review >
- Lola Bridgeman, age 16 - 'Bound to be the Y.A book of the summer, this is superb! Not for the faint hearted, for older teens due to subject matter I'd suggest.' Read full review >
- Sarah Murray, age 16 - 'I do not think I will forget this book anytime soon because it was so original and thought provoking...This is a must read book.' Read full review >
- Verity Wild, age 12 - 'The Rain is an amazing book. It is very creative and exciting. I would highly recommend this book to any teenagers who like wonderful fiction books. I would give it five stars.' Read full review >
- Katie Adeniji, age 13 - 'This book is one of the most moving and funniest books I have ever read. It has been beautifully crafted to give a funnily humorous twist on an end-of-the-world-type situation.' Read full review >
- Rosa Boran, age 14 - 'I loved this book. Although it did freak me out as it was raining when I read it and also the main character Ruby did annoy me. Nevertheless it was good.' Read full review >
- Delilah Acworth, age 15 - 'I had a golf ball sized lump in my throat from the moment the rain began to fall but I could not tear my eyes from the page.' Read full review >
- Rose Heathcote, age 15 - 'This book is a great read which I would definitely recommend. It is a typical girly read until the author splashes the story with gore. It was great to be able to read such an original story line.' Read full review >
- Helen Marshall - 'It’s a book which builds a picture in your head that stays with you – and made me nervous when I accidently got dripped on!' Read full review >
- Izzy read, age 13 - 'All in all, this was an incredible novel that was different to anything I’ve ever read.' Read full review >
- Lauren Coffman, age 14 - 'This was a good book that had some exciting bits and a great plot but slightly boring in places. Overall though a fun & different book.' Read full review >
- Imogen Breaks, age 11 - 'Every drip of rain infects your blood and eats you from the inside out which 16 year old Ruby Morris does NOT want to happen...I loved every part of this book it was amazing!!!!!' Read full review >
The Rain by Virginia Bergin
One minute sixteen-year-old Ruby Morris is having her first proper snog with Caspar McCloud in a hot tub, and the next she's being bundled inside the house, dripping wet, cold and in her underwear. Not cool. As she and Caspar shiver in the kitchen, it starts to rain. They turn on the radio to hear panicked voices - 'It's in the rain ...it's in the rain ...' That was two weeks ago, and now Ruby is totally alone. People weren't prepared for the rain, got caught out in it, didn't realize that you couldn't drink water from the taps either. Even a drip of rain would infect your blood, and eat you from the inside out. Ruby knows she has to get to London to find her dad, but she just doesn't know where to start ...After rescuing all the neighbourhood dogs, Ruby sets off on a journey that will take her the length of the country - surviving in the only way she knows how.
Overall I found the concept interesting, there is a flood (no pun intended) of zombie apocalypse books out at the moment but the idea of the rain being poisoned was different. The characters were likable and flawed and it was realistic in the events that befell them all, no super powers to save them here! NetGalley
Tense, scary, and high emotion, The Rain will have you on the edge of your seat and afraid to step outside. dark-readers.com
Distinctly British dystopian survival thriller. Great page turner, and I particularly enjoyed the very normal heroine after so many Katniss-lites. The Bookseller
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Virginia Bergin
Author's Facebook Latest
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
17th July 2014
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14