Storm Singing and Other Tangled Tasks
Written by Lari Don
Part of the Kelpies: Fabled Beasts Chronicles Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Thrilling and spirited, the Fabled Beast Chronicles continues to deliver another adventurous tale. In this, the third book in the series, Helen and her friends leave safety far behind to support Rona the selkie in her seaborne quest to stop a dreadful war. It’s interesting to hear the tale told on occasion from Rona’s point of view when she departs from the group to complete her own mission. This series is about courage, teamwork and friendship, so when things don't run smoothly, when the going gets tough and some difficult decisions have to be made, stop and think - would you be as brave and daring as Helen? ~ Liz Robinson
If this is your first foray into this bewitching new world, start with First Aid for Fairies followed by Wolf Notes and Other Musical Mishaps as it’s best to read the books in order to understand how the companions met and became friends.
Some of our readers were lucky enough to review the first of the Fabled Beast Chronicles, First Aid for Fairies and Other Fabled Beasts....here's a taster of what they thought...'A great fantasy story full of mythical creatures and legends. This is book one of four and I can't wait to read the other three books.' and 'Wonderful story for children, a gripping fairytale that will keep you reading past your bedtime.'
Read more reviews here!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the series First Aid For Fairies and Other Fabled Beasts. You can read their reviews below.
- Jessica Cobbin, age 7 - 'This is an exciting story with lots of things happening, and it's the sort of story that you want to stay up late to keep reading...It's as good as Harry Potter!.' Read full review >
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'A great fantasy story full of mythical creatures and legends. This is book one of four and I can't wait to read the other three books.' Read full review >
- Cait Galbraith, age 8 - 'Wonderful story for children, a gripping fairytale that will keep you reading past your bedtime.' Read full review >
- Abraham Fisher, age 11 - 'First Aid for Fairies and Other Fabled Beasts is a good adventure book full of mystical animals, it is well written and has a good plot.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'A magical, funny, exciting adventure set in Scotland. Brilliant!' Read full review >
- Elspeth, age 10 - 'I really enjoyed First Aid for Fairies and I would give it a 5/5, this book would be good for people who don't believe in the Tooth Fairy or Santa because it would encourage them to believe more.' Read full review >
- Declan Simspon, age 7 - 'First Aid for Fairies is an exciting book and I have liked reading it!' Read full review >
- Cora Willans, age 8 - 'a brilliant exciting story, about the adventures of lots of mythical creatures...I couldn’t wait to read it all, and I am really looking forward to the next books in the series.' Read full review >
- Rosie Watch - 'The descriptions and mystery were definitely enhanced by the beautiful chapter headings and the size of the print was perfect for many of my year 5 readers. I think our school will definitely be ordering the rest of the set.'Read full review >
Storm Singing and Other Tangled Tasks by Lari Don
A centaur, a selkie, a fairy and a phoenix -- Helen has unusual friends. And in this incredible quest, they face some even stranger opponents, from mermaids to angry killer whales. Helen must help Rona the selkie to win the most important contest of the ocean world, and stop the deep sea powers from going to war. But who is trying to sabotage the competition and why? Can Helen and the fabled beasts find the real villain, and prevent the most devastating storm the world has ever seen?
The third thrilling instalment of the bestselling Fabled Beast Chronicles, an exciting four-book adventure series starring creatures from myth and legend, introduces new fabled beasts from the wild north of Scotland.
Katy Lockwood-Holmes, Publisher at Floris Books, said: “Fabled Beast Chronicles is one of Floris Books’ most successful children’s fiction brands. Helen and Yann the centaur’s epic quests have thousands of fans throughout Britain and we’re delighted to bring Lari to a whole new generation of readers.”
'This book will certainly have you singing up a storm...Tales of giant jellyfish, killer whales and a spectacular storm are just some of the delights waiting for you and your class in these pages. This is the third adventure of the First Aid for Fairies Series and it does not disappoint. Highly recommended.' --Top Class Primary
'Don gives her characters complicated feelings and conflicts. They may be fairies and unicorns, but the choices they make are never straight forward, and their reactions will at times seem very familiar to human readers. Highly recommended for ' junior schools, or as a read-aloud for younger children.' --The School Librarian, Autumn 2011
About the Author
Interest Age: From 8
More books by Lari Don
Author's Facebook Latest
Kelpies an imprint of Floris Books
18th September 2014
Kelpies an imprint of Floris Books is an imprint of Kelpies
Kelpies Books celebrate quality children’s books with brilliant authors, engaging stories and a Scottish twist! They create books that capture children’s imaginations at all ages. Under 6s will have loads of fun with Kelpies picture books, 9 to 12-year-olds will be whisked away by Kelpies and young teens will be gripped by KelpiesTeen novels.
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14