Maze Running and Other Magical Missions
Written by Lari Don
Part of the Kelpies: Fabled Beasts Chronicles Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
This is the last adventure for Helen and the Fabled Beasts and it’s quickly clear that this is the most frighteningly precarious undertaking of them all. The Master of the Maze is back with world domination on his mind; Helen and her friends have to stop him, however one team member is missing and there are some very hard decisions ahead. The author transports the reader straight into the middle of her stories and has made the fabled beasts our friends too. Scotland continues to be the perfect blend of mystical and haunting beauty, which makes a fabulous setting. While mourning the fact that there won’t be a “Clip, clop, clip ….” at the start of another story, the ending to this series feels just, feels right, feels good! ~ Liz Robinson
If this is your first foray into this bewitching new world, start from the beginning with First Aid for Fairies as it’s best to read the books in order to understand how the companions met and became friends.
Some of our readers were lucky enough to review the first of the Fabled Beast Chronicles, First Aid for Fairies and Other Fabled Beasts....here's a taster of what they thought...'A great fantasy story full of mythical creatures and legends. This is book one of four and I can't wait to read the other three books.' and 'Wonderful story for children, a gripping fairytale that will keep you reading past your bedtime.'
Read more reviews here!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the series First Aid For Fairies and Other Fabled Beasts. You can read their reviews below.
- Jessica Cobbin, age 7 - 'This is an exciting story with lots of things happening, and it's the sort of story that you want to stay up late to keep reading...It's as good as Harry Potter!.' Read full review >
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'A great fantasy story full of mythical creatures and legends. This is book one of four and I can't wait to read the other three books.' Read full review >
- Cait Galbraith, age 8 - 'Wonderful story for children, a gripping fairytale that will keep you reading past your bedtime.' Read full review >
- Abraham Fisher, age 11 - 'First Aid for Fairies and Other Fabled Beasts is a good adventure book full of mystical animals, it is well written and has a good plot.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'A magical, funny, exciting adventure set in Scotland. Brilliant!' Read full review >
- Elspeth, age 10 - 'I really enjoyed First Aid for Fairies and I would give it a 5/5, this book would be good for people who don't believe in the Tooth Fairy or Santa because it would encourage them to believe more.' Read full review >
- Declan Simspon, age 7 - 'First Aid for Fairies is an exciting book and I have liked reading it!' Read full review >
- Cora Willans, age 8 - 'a brilliant exciting story, about the adventures of lots of mythical creatures...I couldn’t wait to read it all, and I am really looking forward to the next books in the series.' Read full review >
- Rosie Watch - 'The descriptions and mystery were definitely enhanced by the beautiful chapter headings and the size of the print was perfect for many of my year 5 readers. I think our school will definitely be ordering the rest of the set.'Read full review >
Maze Running and Other Magical Missions by Lari Don
One of Helen's friends is dying, stabbed in the heart by the Master, and this life-threatening injury needs a magical remedy. Helen and her fabled-beast friends unite, with the help of the dragons, to find a magical token with the power to cure. But they only have until tomorrow night. On their quests through Scotland for the enchanted healing tokens, they battle with magical lizards, monstrous goats, and a vengeful giant. Fighting together, can they cure their friend and finally defeat the power-crazed Master of the Maze?
Don't miss the heart-stopping climax to the bestselling Fabled Beast Chronicles.
Katy Lockwood-Holmes, Publisher at Floris Books, said: “Fabled Beast Chronicles is one of Floris Books’ most successful children’s fiction brands. Helen and Yann the centaur’s epic quests have thousands of fans throughout Britain and we’re delighted to bring Lari to a whole new generation of readers.”
'Like the other books, Maze Running is firmly entrenched in the Scottish landscape. This has the effect of grounding the magical events and fabled beasts in the real world and making them easier to imagine. The plotting is excellent throughout, giving readers the opportunity to work with Helen to complete her quests.' Inis Magazine
About the Author
Interest Age: From 8
More books by Lari Don
Author's Facebook Latest
Kelpies an imprint of Floris Books
18th September 2014
Kelpies an imprint of Floris Books is an imprint of Kelpies
Floris Books celebrate quality children’s books with brilliant authors, engaging stories and a Scottish twist! They create books that capture children’s imaginations at all ages. Under 6s will have loads of fun with Picture Kelpies picture books, 9 to 12-year-olds will be whisked away by Kelpies and young teens will be gripped by KelpiesTeen novels.
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11