Written by Kimberly McCreight
Part of the The Outliers Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2016 Debut of the Month The Outliers is one of those twisty thrillers that run on paranoia. It will send readers’ heartbeats soaring as their fears for the safety of central character Wylie increase, and they realise there is no-one she can trust! Wylie is in a bad place when the story starts – her mother has died in a car accident and her father, a research scientist, seems caught up in his work to the exclusion of anything else. Then Wylie’s best friend Cassie goes missing and her boyfriend appears to ask for Wylie’s help in finding her. Could Cassie’s disappearance have something to do with Wylie’s dad’s project, and is she really, creepily, a decoy? Is the target for groups for fanatics, sinister state-backed police and even weirder types, really Wylie herself? Proceeding at break-neck speed this still finds time for romance too.
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Aimee Sweet, age 14 - 'McCreight has created a completely original, and I think truly incredible story that I’m sure will stay in my thoughts for a long while...Beautifully crafted, The Outliers is, without doubt, my 2016 favourite.'
- Sophia Ufton - 'What a fantastic story, the plot was amazing! I loved reading this book and hope the author does more.'
- Amy Laws, age 15 - 'Action packed and gripping- I flew through the pages of The Outliers.'
- Natalie Hunter, age 14 - 'The Outliers was amazing, once I'd got into it I kept it by my side at all times...I love our main characters and their back stories especially how Wylie recounts moments from her past for us.I absolutely loved it!'
- Izzy Read, age 15 - 'An interesting, emotional YA thriller that I finished in under 12 hours: I couldn't think of anything better!'
- Nichola Greig-Wills - 'It allows you to explore your own imagination and provokes thought about the storyline which is strangely believable!'
- Emma Hughes - 'I really enjoyed this book, it's an adventurous plot with lots of exciting twists and turns. A real page turner.'
- Edel Waugh - 'This book had it all... mysterious road trip, missing friend, mental illness and lies, which is why I read this in one sitting.'
- Charnell Vevers - 'As the first book in a new YA series this book will leave you desperate to get your hands on the sequel.'
- Lauren Coffman, age 16 - 'Kimberly McCreight’s writing in this book is amazing, and manages to successfully convey the atmosphere, tension and mystery throughout.'
- Phoebe Doherty- Ozobiane, age 14- 'I'll be honest, the beginning of The Outliers kind of bored me. It was slow and in between flashbacks was very cliché and illogical.'
The Outliers by Kimberly McCreight
From New York Times bestselling author Kimberley McCreight comes the first book in a breathtakingly brilliant new trilogy, packed with tension, romance and thrilling twists and turns. They'll get inside your head...Imagine if you could see inside the minds of everyone around you - your best friend, your boyfriend, your enemies...? Imagine how valuable you'd be...Imagine how much danger you'd be in...Imagine being an Outlier. It all starts with a text: Please Wylie, I need your help. Wylie hasn't heard from her one time best friend, Cassie, in over a week. Not since their last fight. But that doesn't matter. Cassie's in trouble, and it's up to Wylie to do what she does best, save her best friend from herself. This time it's different though - Cassie's texts are increasingly cryptic and scary. And instead of having Wylie come by herself, Jasper shows up saying Cassie asked him to help. Trusting the super-hot boy who sent Cassie off the rails doesn't feel right, but Wylie has no choice. But as Wylie and Jasper follow Cassie's bizarre trail, Wylie has a growing sense that something is REALLY wrong. What isn't Cassie telling them? Who is she with and what do they want from her? And could finding her be just the beginning...?
't let go. Associated Press'
About the Author
More books by Kimberly McCreight
Author's Facebook Latest
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
3rd May 2016
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi