Written by Ross MacKenzie
Part of the Kelpies Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2016 Book of the Month
In a nutshell: good versus evil, spiders, finding courage
Ross MacKenzie won the Blue Peter Best Story Award for The Nowhere Emporium and Shadowsmith is another heart-racing adventure. Kirby’s mum was hurt when a freak storm lashed their little fishing village and is in a coma. Slowly he realises that the storm and a series of strange, unpleasant events are linked. Helped by girl in a bright yellow coat – who turns out to be a powerful witch – he dares to fight the evil threatening his village and his family. This has all that the best books for children offer – real dangers to be faced and overcome, interesting and believable characters, humour, and a strong recognition of the importance of family relationships. Readers who enjoy this book should also look out for The Beginners Guide to Curses by Lari Don, The Crooked Sixpence by Jennifer Bell and Ned's Circus of Marvels by Justin Fisher. ~ Andrea Reece
Commenting on his new novel, the author: “I’m fascinated by magic and mystery and I wanted to explore the darker side of the supernatural, a world filled with huge spiders and witches and hideous, other-worldly beings. I hope the readers will enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. The crucial question for them is, are they feeling brave?
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review The Nowhere Emporium also by Ross MacKenzie. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Alex Hall, age 9 - 'This book is a page turner. The main character is an orphan and befriends a magician with an emporium which is full of mystery and magic and fantasy. It has a lot of action and is a very gripping.'
- Lindsey Hall (Alex’s mum) - loved it, a fabulous book and one that I think will many young people (and adults) will find enthralling.'
- Isaac East, age 8 - 'Have you ever walked into a midnight maze where imagination takes over? Join Mr. Silver in he wonders from lands of sweets to a room of secrets. Then ride a roller coaster to defeat his arch enemy.'
- Olivia Barnes, age 10 - 'Every chapter ends with a cliff-hanger, you are left falling off the edge and the only way to save yourself is to carry on reading.'
- Louis Gladman, age 10 - 'When I started reading this book it felt like someone inside had me tied to a rope and was pulling me in and not stopping.'
- Miranda Beinart-Smith, age 8 - 'Because I loved this book so much, I couldn’t stop reading it and I stayed up very late to see what happened next!'
- Robert Heathcote, age 11 - 'What a wonderful interesting book cover that tempts you in to read the story. The book is full of magic and adventure which starts from the very beginning which made me want to read more and more.'
- Jack Summers, age 8 - 'This book is full of mysteries, secrets and wonders! Read it if you like magic and adventure stories.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'Fantastical, magical and spectacularly exciting. An amazing read with a beautifully illustrated cover, it’s perfect!'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'An amazing book filled with magic and excitement. If you like Harry Potter and Dr Who, you will love this!'
- Ella Meredith, age 8 - 'This is a bit of a spooky book, but really good.'
- Liam Wilson, age 10 - 'Mysterious and intriguing. This book has a great cover and is so well written, I couldn't wait to read the next chapter.'
- Callum Broomfield - 'I would recommend it to my friends in an instant. It’s quite unlike any other book I’ve read. It is full of mystery and makes you feel like you are in the book.'
- Alexander Butler - 'A very magical book that I couldn't put down - I got through it in record time!'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Shadowsmith by Ross MacKenzie
Are you brave? When mysterious Amelia Pigeon turns up at Kirby's bedroom window in the dead of night, this is the question she asks him - immediately before they tumble into a world of ancient malevolent spirits who have torn their way into Kirby's sleepy seaside village. Ross MacKenzie weaves a world of magic and adventure, which twists and turns magnificently and will keep thrilled young readers guessing right to the end.
MacKenzie’s previous novel, The Nowhere Emporium, won the Blue Peter Best Story Award 2016, the Scottish Children’s Book Award 2016 and the North East Book Award, and appeared on the shortlist for the Brilliant Book Award.
'In the pages of Shadowsmith , author Ross MacKenzie deftly weaves a world of magic and adventure in a fantasy adventure novel replete twists and turns magnificently and will keep thrilled young readers ages 9 to 12 guessing right to the end. Impressively original and exceptionally well written, Shadowsmith is a consistently compelling read from beginning to end and very highly recommended for school and community library Science Fiction & Fantasy collections.'
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Ross MacKenzie
Kelpies an imprint of Floris Books
15th September 2016
Kelpies an imprint of Floris Books is an imprint of Kelpies
Kelpies Books celebrate quality children’s books with brilliant authors, engaging stories and a Scottish twist! They create books that capture children’s imaginations at all ages. Under 6s will have loads of fun with Kelpies picture books, 9 to 12-year-olds will be whisked away by Kelpies and young teens will be gripped by KelpiesTeen novels.
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11