Squishy McFluff: The Big Country Fair
Written by Pip Jones
Illustrated by Ella Okstad
Part of the Squishy McFluff the Invisible Cat Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
In a nutshell: Fluffy invisible friend conquers all at country fair
There’s tension at the heart of this new Squishy McFluff story: Ava and her family are going to a country fair and she is determined that Squishy will win the Prettiest Pet competition. Mum, Dad, and maybe readers too, are concerned that the judges might not appreciate Squishy’s many qualities – he is invisible after all! Pip Jones’s stories are full of charm and a wonderful unforced humour that derives from Ava’s obliviousness to the chaos she so often causes, and her special friendship with Squishy. Written in sprightly verse, that demands to be read aloud, and illustrated with equally lively pictures by Ella Okstad, it’s another perfect book for emerging readers.
Kids love reading and so we invited the Lovereading4kids reader review panel to read and review the first title in the series, Squishy McFluff: The Invisible Cat. You can read their full reviews here.
- Matilda Greenacre, age 7 - 'This is a great book for early readers or mums to read to their children. The whole book is written in rhyme, lovely for read out loud.'
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'Ava and Squishy make a mischievous and very funny team...A lovely story which is made even better by the clever combination of rhyme and illustrations. Glorious!'
- Isaac East, age 7 - 'Squishy McFluff is a funny book that rhymes. The cat is cheeky and with her friend Ava they of lots of mischievous things.'
- Evie Aconley, age 7 - 'A really fun book to read! I loved it!!'
- Lauren Randall, age 6 - 'Great book if you like rhyming stories and cats.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 6 - 'I give it 10* because it is funny. I love the colourful pictures. I wish it was longer though! I can’t wait for Supermarket Sweep.'
- Ophelia Robinson Beesley, age 7 - 'It has happiness and comedy but slight sadness in the middle but it is not too sad. Anyway Pip Jones has created a loving family of characters no reason to not enjoy. Especially suitable for bed time.'
- Toby Pickering, age 7 - 'It was a very interesting story full of adventure and you think her mum isn’t going to like Squishy, well you’re right!'
- Emma, age 7 - 'I loved this book, it makes me want an invisible cat of my own. I could read this easily on my own, but the story made me think about what my invisible cat would look like.'
Squishy McFluff: The Big Country Fair by Pip Jones
Squishy McFluff has been blow-dried and primped to perfection. He must win the Country Fair prettiest pet competition - and will if Ava has anything to do with it...But not everyone can see he's the winner. The Mayor seems to have a particular blindspot...That is until Ava and her invisible pet foil a dastardly robbery!
Another joyful, hilarious, instant classic of a tale for five year olds and upwards, stunningly illustrated by Ella Okstad.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 5
More books by Pip Jones
Faber & Faber
6th October 2016
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods