The Night Itself
Written by Zoe Marriott
Part of the The Name of the Blade Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Selected by our Editorial Experts
Ancient Japanese gods and monsters are unleashed on modern-day London in this epic trilogy from an acclaimed fantasy writer. Great for fans of Tamora Pierce, Maggie Stiefvater and Cassandra Clare.
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Alice D'Angelo, age 14 - 'This story was so gripping once I started reading I ended up reading it all the time because I was so intrigued to find out what happened next.' Read full review >
- Realm of Fiction - 'Zoe Marriott’s The Night Itself draws together some interesting magical concepts and takes them to a modern-day London.' Read full review >
- Molly Hudson - 'I really enjoyed this book, found the characters fun and interesting and liked the cultural aspect of the book. I enjoyed learning a bit about Japanese life and history.' Read full review >
- Carla McGuigan, age 13 - 'I found this novel to be one of the most amazing books ever. It was romantic, adventurous, mysterious, interesting and it was just absolutely brilliant. I would strongly recommend this book to girls my age.' Read full review >
- James Smart - 'an amazing book with a slow beginning with a sharp incline in the plot toward the end.' Read full review >
- Ciara Gallagher - 'I really thoroughly enjoyed this book it had piles of action in it and that is what I enjoy. I would strongly recommend this book to ages 12-15 there is really only one word that can some this book up which is AMAZING!' Read full review >
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
The Night Itself by Zoe Marriott
When Mio steals the family's katana - a priceless ancestral sword - from her parents' attic, she just wants to spice up a fancy-dress costume. But the katana is much more than some dusty antique and her actions unleash a terrible, ancient evil onto the streets of unsuspecting London. Soon Shinobu, a fearless warrior boy, appears to protect Mio - and threatens to steal her heart. With the gods and monsters of Japanese myth stalking her and her friends, Mio realizes that if she cannot keep the sword safe, and learn to control its legendary powers, she will lose not only her own life...but the love of a lifetime.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Zoe Marriott
Walker Books Ltd
4th July 2013
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7